Do you want to know how to unlock the bootloader on Nokia 1 Plus smartphone, and want to tweak system settings as well as customize your device? If yes, then, you are at the right place as in this post, we will guide you on how to unlock the bootloader on Nokia 1 Plus. Moreover, the first step in customizing the device is basically unlocking the bootloader, after which you can go ahead and install TWRP as well as root your device. Rooting your device gives you the administrative or developer privileges by which you can install custom ROMs, install TWRP Recovery to flash any zip file, install restricted applications and more. You can also install a mod application on your device without any problems.
However, you should know one thing that the unlocking of bootloader voids the warranty of your device. So, it is better to let the warranty period get over and then unlock the bootloader on your device. However, if you love customization and tweaking with the settings of your device to explore new features on your device then, you are at the right place. The Nokia 1 Plus smartphone was launched in February 2019 and it runs on the Android 9 Pie out of the box. We would like to thanks, XDA Developers Senior Member, hikari_calyx, for sharing the unlocking method. In this full guide, we will share with you the steps to unlock the bootloader as well as the specifications and in detail with the download links as well.
So, without any further ado, let us get straight into this post itself;
Quick Specs Overview of the Nokia 1 Plus
The Nokia 1 Plus is powered by the MediaTek MT6739WW processor which is paired with 1GB of RAM and coupled with PowerVR GE8100 GPU. The device has a battery capacity of 2500 mAh. Moreover, you get only one storage option i.e. 8GB. In the display department, you get a 5.45-inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen display with a resolution of 480×960 pixels with an aspect ratio of 18:9 along with 197 PPI. The phone runs on Android 9.0 Pie Go Edition out of the box.
Moreover, in the camera department, you get a single camera setup with an 8MP autofocus camera. The camera features LED flash and records video at [email protected] In the front, you get a single selfie camera which is a 5MP shooter with an f/2.0 aperture. The Nokia 1 Plus device comes in three color – Black, Red, and Blue.
How To Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 1 Plus
But, before we head-on with the step by step guide on how to unlock the bootloader on the Nokia 1 Plus, let us take a look at what is unlock bootloader and what advantages and disadvantages are there if you unlock the bootloader?
What is Bootloader and the Advantages of unlocking it?
As in all of my post which is based on unlocking the bootloader, I give out information to you, so that, you should be aware of what is a bootloader and what are the advantages or the benefits you get after unlocking it.
A bootloader is a piece of software that, will automatically run, every time you starts up your phone or device. Moreover, the bootloader commands the phone, what programs to load in order to make your phone run. Besides, it is very important to have a functioning bootloader as it the one that starts up your device. This is the reason why bootloaders are stored in a stable memory away from your reach on your device. But, there are methods and solution for every smartphone that can help you to unlock your bootloader. However, you need to follow the steps very carefully in order to avoid any permanent damage caused to your device.
One thing to note is that unlocking your bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, make sure that you are out of the warranty period or you are sure about what you are doing to your device.
However, there are some disadvantages with unlocking the bootloader;
- You can void your warranty.
- There will be issues with official OTA updates.
- Moreover, you can brick your device or stuck in a boot loop if you do not follow the steps to unlock the bootloader carefully.
But, there are certain advantages once, you have unlocked the bootloader of your device;
- You can install any custom ROM of your choice such as Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix ROM, etc.
- Moreover, you can root your device.
- You can flash TWRP.
- A Windows OS PC/laptop.
- This guide is only for the Nokia 1 Plus smartphone.
- Make sure to charge your device to at least 60% or more.
- Install proper USB drivers for the Nokia 1 Plus.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC.
- Take a complete back up of your device.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 1 Plus
As already mentioned above, you need to have an unlocked bootloader in order to install custom ROMs, restricted apps, etc on your device. Please follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader of the device;
NOTE: Before we begin with the unlocking of bootloader, I would strongly recommend you to create a backup of your device storage and all your files stored on your device. Unlocking of bootloader will wipe off the entire data on your device. Moreover, it is advised to follow the steps mentioned in this post very carefully to avoid permanent damage or bricking of your device. If anything goes wrong the author or Cynogenmods.org are not responsible for it.
- Firstly, you need to note down the serial number of your Nokia 1 Plus.
- For that, go to Settings>>System>>About Phone>>Model and Hardware
- Now, for example, let us assume that your device serial number is ANTBA00123456789
- Now, you will need to calculate the md5 checksum of the serial number.
- Go to the MD5file.com or you can search for md5 checksum calculation website online.
- Now, let us assume that the md5 checksum for the serial number ANTBA00123456789 is 20326118cff83af7de53749a34e68fae
- Then, you need to enable the Developer Options on your Nokia 1 Plus smartphone.
- To do that, go to Settings>>About>>Software Information>>More>>tap on the Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer”.
- Once again, go back to the Settings>>Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging.
- Download the ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC and extract it.
- Now, connect your Nokia 1 Plus to your PC using a USB cable.
- If you have not already installed the USB drivers on your PC for your device then, wait till the drivers get installed.
- In the same folder where you have extracted the ADB and Fastboot files, open a command prompt window by pressing the Shift + Right Click key combination.
- Now, in the command prompt, enter the below command and press the Enter button on your keyboard;
- You will get a pop-up on your smartphone with a message “Always allow from this computer”. You need to press OK
- Type the below command to enter the bootloader mode, and press Enter;
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, type;
- The above command will list all the devices connected to the PC. If your serial number is visible in the list then you can go ahead with the procedure. However, if the serial number is not listed, this means that your device is not connected properly to your PC and you need to perform all the steps again and install all the drivers properly.
- If your device is detected then, type in the below command;
fastboot oem key 20326118cff83af7de53749a34e68fae
fastboot flashing unlock
- Now, you need to press the Volume Up key to confirm the unlocking of the bootloader.
For MediaTek Models:
- For MediaTek models, type in the below command to confirm bootloader unlock state:
fastboot getvar unlocked
- If bootloader unlocked, it will tell you:
That’s it! You have finally unlocked the bootloader on the Nokia 1 Plus.
You can now go ahead and root your device and install various MODs, custom ROMs or modify the firmware of your device.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you have followed the above-mentioned steps carefully and successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Nokia 1 Plus. Note that this is method is only for unlocking the Nokia 1 Plus and should not be used for any other devices. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have faced any issues while following the above-mentioned steps and also do report if you come across any link failure as well.
Moreover, the unlocking of bootloader also helps you in installing the custom ROMs like Lineage OS which is one of the most popular custom ROMs out there and moreover, you can unlock the true potential of the Nokia 1 Plus device by unlocking its bootloader. Until the next post…Cheers!