This post was last updated on January 18th, 2020 at 01:03 pm
Recently, a lot of smartphones are being added to the list of official LineageOS 16. LineageOS which is one of the most popular custom ROM is now available for the OnePlus 6T. Note that this is an official version. Moreover, official support of the LineageOS for the OnePlus 7 series is already there. The OnePlus 6T was announced last year in 2018 and it is still one of the sort after smartphones today. However, this official LineageOS 16 update brings in more exciting features to the device and sort of revamps the feel and experience of the device. Besides, we will also provide download links for other required apps and software as well. In this post, we will guide you on how to download and install official LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T.
The LineageOS is one of the best and most popular custom ROMs available to install for a huge range of devices. The latest official LineageOS 16 is now updated with more features and bug fixes. Moreover, once you update to this official version of the LineageOS which means that you will continue to receive the official updates for the device. The LineageOS 16 brings in a lot of features like the digital wellbeing, enhanced RAM management and more. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
- 1 What is LineageOS?
- 2 How To Download and Install Official LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T
- 3 Steps To Install the Official LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T
- 4 Where to Download Google Camera for OnePlus 6T LineageOS 16?
What is LineageOS?
LineageOS is one of the most popular Custom ROMs that are downloaded and installed by the users on their smartphones. For those who do not know, it is based on the Android Open Source Project and get a contribution from various contributors in the Android community. You get a brilliant and my favorite stock Android experience with some extra features that enhances the productivity of your smartphones. Moreover, it is a highly recommended Custom ROM for any device by most of the Android community.
As explained in Wikipedia;
LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod, from which it was forked in December 2016 when Cyanogen Inc. announced it was discontinuing development and shut down the infrastructure behind the project. Since Cyanogen Inc. retained the rights to the Cyanogen name, the project rebranded its fork as LineageOS.
Advantages of Custom ROM
- Custom ROMs are built to perform faster than stock ROM.
- They are more stylish and eye-catching in terms of interface/UI.
- You will get some extra features in custom ROMs.
- Moreover, after installing a custom ROM, you will also notice a slight increase in the performance of your device.
- The Custom ROM installation also comes very handy when your device is operating or running on an older Android version. Custom ROMs like LineageOS can get you the taste of the latest Android version.
Disadvantages of Custom ROM
- For installing custom ROMs you need to have unlocked the bootloader.
- You need to have a custom recovery like TWRP, installed and also root access on your device.
- If anything goes wrong with the custom ROM installation process, you can cause permanent damage or might brick your device.
- Moreover, if you install a non-optimized custom ROM on your device then, your device will become laggier.
- The final but most important disadvantage is that your device warranty will be voided and you will not be able to receive official OTA updates on your device.
How To Download and Install Official LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T
- Make sure that the OnePlus 6T has an unlocked bootloader.
- You should also have a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your device.
- This guide is only for OnePlus 6T users. We would advise you not to follow this guide if you are not the user of the OnePlus 6T.
- This method requires you to have a PC/Laptop.
- Make sure to charge your device up to at least 70%.
- You need to download the correct USB drivers for your device first.
- Download all the files from the download section.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- To do this, go to Settings>>About Phone>> tap on Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer“.
- Now again go to Settings>>Developer Options>>enable USB Debugging
- OnePlus 6T Official LineageOS 16 LineageOS 16
- ADB and Fastboot Tools ADB and Fastboot Tools
- TWRP TWRP
Steps To Install the Official LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6T
Step 1: Unlocking the Bootloader
NOTE: Before we begin with the unlocking of bootloader, I would strongly recommend you to create a backup of your device storage and all your files stored on your device. Unlocking of bootloader will wipe off the entire data on your device. Moreover, it is advised to follow the steps mentioned in this post very carefully to avoid permanent damage or bricking of your device. If anything goes wrong the author or Cynogenmods.org are not responsible for it.
- Firstly, you need to enable the USB Debugging as well as the OEM unlock from the Developer Settings whose instructions are given above in the pre-requisites section.
- Now, connect your OnePlus 6T to the PC via a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt and type in the below command and press Enter;
adb reboot bootloader
- You can also boot into the Fastboot mode. Follow the below steps;
- Turn OFF your phone.
- Now, press and hold the Volume Up + Power button together, until you see the Fastboot logo on your smartphone’s screen.
- Select Fastboot with the help of the Power button.
- Once you have booted into the Fastboot mode, type;
- Now, you need to type in the below command to unlock the bootloader;
fastboot oem unlock
- After you are done with the procedure of the above step, your device will automatically reboot.
- That’s It! You have unlocked the bootloader of the OnePlus 6T.
Step 2: Installing Custom Recovery Using Fastboot
- Download the custom TWRP recovery from the above download section.
- Connect your device to the PC via a USB cable.
- In your PC, open a command prompt window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- You can also boot into the Fastboot mode via a key combination mentioned above.
- Once your device is in the Fastboot mode, check whether your PC has detected it by typing:
- Now, flash a recovery onto your device by typing:
fastboot flash boot <recovery_filename>.img
(type in the file name of the TWRP recovery in the <recovery_filename> area)
- You need to boot into the recovery mode by pressing the Volume down + power button to verify the installation.
Steps to Install LineageOS 16 from Recovery
- Download the LineageOS 16 from the above download section.
- Boot into the recovery mode via a key combination mentioned above.
- Now, return back to the Main Menu and then type Wipe.
- To format the data, tap on the Format Data button, to begin the formatting process.
- Now, return to the previous menu and tap on the Advanced Wipe.
- You now need to clear the Cache and System partitions. Swipe to Wipe.
- Now, sideload the LineageOS.zip package:
- On the device, select “Advanced“, “ADB Sideload“, then Swipe to begin the sideload process.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload filename.zip
- Once the installation is finished run the below command:
- That’s it! You have successfully installed the official LineageOS 16 for the OnePlus 6T device.
Where to Download Google Camera for OnePlus 6T LineageOS 16?
GCam version 6.x and 7.0 such as: GCam 6.2.030 or Gcam 6.1.021 and some or all GCam 7.0 are compatible with any Android Pie ROM in general.
In case you won’t get your device in the above lists, you can always look into the big list of Google Camera for Android Pie page that contains a huge list of GCam for all available devices.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you liked this post and were successful in installing the official LineageOS 16 on the OnePlus 6T smartphone. Let us know in the comments below if you faced any problems while following any of the above methods or steps. Also, do report us any link failures as well. Until the next post…Cheers!