Couple of compatible GCam or Google Camera for Nokia 8.1 are now available to download. All of the GCam builds for Nokia 8.1 are brought to you by BSG, San1ty and marlin-ku.
Available GCam versions
Below are the available versions of GCam APK for Nokia 8.1
- GCam 7.4 (Latest Version)
- GCam 7.2
- GCam 7.0
- GCam 6.2
The Google camera 6.2 brings Time lapse, night sight feature and the GCam 7.2 brings Astrophotography mode to the Nokia 8.1. The available GCam ports are compatible on Android Pie and Android 10.
Status of this Nokia 8.1 Google Camera
– Almost everything
– Nothing reported yet
Most likely Camera2 API is already enabled on Nokia 8.1. If you still want to verify, follow the below link:
– Verify and enable Camera2 API if it is required.
Where to Download GCam for Nokia 8.1?
Below are few link(s) to download GCam for Nokia 8.1 –
GCam 7.4 for Nokia 8.1:
GCam 7.2 for Nokia 8.1:
(with 44x Zoom)
GCam 7.0 for Nokia 8.1:
(With Night Sight and Astrophotography)
GCam 6.2 for Nokia 8.1:
How to Install Google Camera on Nokia 8.1?
- Download any compatible Google Camera APK file and copy it to your phone.
- To install Google Camera APK, enable the install Unknown Apps for the app from which you are going to install the Google Camera APK.
For example: if you have downloaded the Google Camera apk file on Google chrome or firefox browser on your phone.
Or you have downloaded and copied the apk file to the phone and installing it using a file browser app.
Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Open the app (Chrome, Firefox or file manager app etc) > Install unknown apps and enable Allow from this source
- Then install the Google Camera APK on Nokia 8.1, when done installation, run the Google Camera APK on your phone.
- Allow the required permissions and then you are ready to use.
Manual settings for GCam 6.2
Go to Settings > Back Camera > Set it to Pixel 3a XL
Go to Settings > Front Camera > Set it to Nexus 6p
How to Enable astrophotography mode on GCam 7.0?
By default the astrophotography mode is not enabled on the Google camera 7.0 listed here. Few settings need to be enabled. Before you proceed to enable any settings, just a heads up: from Google Camera 7.0 onward the settings is moved under Quick settings pull down menu.
- Open Settings
- Scroll down and click on About modification
- Then go to Developer Settings (Keep in mind that This developer setting is different than the Android’s developer settings)
- On the next screen search for "cuttle". All the cuttle related settings will be filtered.
- Now enable or check all the boxes for following options
- Now, force stop the Google camera app and restart it.
- Now, to capture photo in astrophotography mode; follow the instructions in the next section.
How to capture photos in astrophotography mode on GCam 7.x?
Google Camera 7.2 comes with Astrophotography mode by default, so there is no settings that needs to be enabled. But to capture photos in astro photography mode, certain conditions to be met after which the mode is enabled automatically.
Following conditions must be met to capture in Astrophotography mode (known as cuttlefish in Google Camera ports like this):
– It can be enabled on Night Sight mode (only)
– The phone must be kept static (use a tripod or keep the phone somewhere to keep it static)
– There must be low light condition
– It may take few seconds for this mode to come up when the above conditions are met
How to enable 44x Zoom on Nokia 8.1 GCam 7.2?
This GCam 7.2 for Nokia 8.1 does support 44x super res zoom. But when you zoom the same on the view finder slider, the GCam app crashes immediately. Follow the below to enable 44x Zoom:
– Go to Settings > Advanced > Maximum Zoom > Set it to 44x (if that crashes, change it to 36x)
New features are keep on coming on the Google Camera app and hence there could be many versions of these ported apps for Nokia 8.1. This page will always have all available working Google Camera for Nokia 8.1.