Table of Contents
- 1 What is LineageOS?
- 2 Download and Install Official LineageOS 16 [nightly] for HTC One M8
- 3 Steps To Install the Official LineageOS 16 on HTC One M8
- 4 Where to Download Google Camera for HTC One M8 LineageOS 16?
- 5 Conclusion
This post was last updated on January 18th, 2020 at 01:04 pm
HTC, one’s a huge smartphone brand is now struggling to keep up with its existence with so many aggressive new and old smartphone manufacturers have claimed their way to the top. However, one of the most beloved smartphone from the house of HTC, the HTC M8 has been added to the list of officially supported smartphones for the LineageOS 16. Moreover, not only the single sim variant but also, the dual sim variant has been officially added to this list. A huge thanks go to the XDA developer, bgcngm for putting in official efforts for adding additional features for the HTC One M8. In this post, we will present to you a detailed guide on how to download and install official LineageOS 16 [nightly] for the HTC One M8, single as well as double SIM smartphone.
Moreover, a lot of older smartphones have been recently added to the official support list of the LineageOS 16 and now the HTC One M8 has also been included. The LineageOS is one of the best and most popular custom ROMs available to install for a huge range of devices. The latest LineageOS 16 is now updated with more features and bug fixes. The official version of the LineageOS 16 [nightly] carries the version lineage-16.0-20190815-nightly-m8-signed (single SIM) and lineage-16.0-20190815-nightly-m8d-signed (dual SIM). However, you need to unlock the bootloader in order to install the LineageOS 16 for the HTC One M8. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into how to download and install official LineageOS 16 [nightly] for HTC One M8;
What is LineageOS?
LineageOS is one of the most popular Custom ROMs that are downloaded and installed by the users on their smartphones. For those who do not know, it is based on the Android Open Source Project and get a contribution from various contributors in the Android community. You get a brilliant and my favorite stock Android experience with some extra features that enhances the productivity of your smartphones. Moreover, it is a highly recommended Custom ROM for any device by most of the Android community.
As explained in Wikipedia;
LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod, from which it was forked in December 2016 when Cyanogen Inc. announced it was discontinuing development and shut down the infrastructure behind the project. Since Cyanogen Inc. retained the rights to the Cyanogen name, the project rebranded its fork as LineageOS.
Advantages of Custom ROM
- Custom ROMs are built to perform faster than stock ROM.
- They are more stylish and eye-catching in terms of interface/UI.
- You will get some extra features in custom ROMs.
- Moreover, after installing a custom ROM, you will also notice a slight increase in the performance of your device.
- The Custom ROM installation also comes very handy when your device is operating or running on an older Android version. Custom ROMs like LineageOS can get you the taste of the latest Android version.
Disadvantages of Custom ROM
- For installing custom ROMs you need to have unlocked the bootloader.
- You need to have a custom recovery like TWRP, installed and also root access on your device.
- If anything goes wrong with the custom ROM installation process, you can cause permanent damage or might brick your device.
- Moreover, if you install a non-optimized custom ROM on your device then, your device will become laggier.
- The final but most important disadvantage is that your device warranty will be voided and you will not be able to receive official OTA updates on your device.
Download and Install Official LineageOS 16 [nightly] for HTC One M8
- This guide is only for HTC One M8 users. We would advise you not to follow this guide if you are not the user of the HTC One M8.
- This method requires you to have a PC/Laptop.
- Make sure to charge your device up to at least 70%.
- You need to download the correct USB drivers for your device first.
- Download all the files from the download section.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- To do this, go to Settings>>About Phone>> tap on Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer“.
- Now again go to Settings>>Developer Options>>enable USB Debugging
- HTC One M8 official LineageOS 16 (Single SIM) LineageOS 16
- HTC One M8 official LineageOS 16 (Single SIM) LineageOS 16
- ADB and Fastboot Tools ADB and Fastboot Tools
- TWRP TWRP Recovery
Steps To Install the Official LineageOS 16 on HTC One M8
Step 1: Unlocking the Bootloader
NOTE: Before we begin with the unlocking of bootloader, I would strongly recommend you to create a backup of your device storage and all your files stored on your device. Unlocking of bootloader will wipe off the entire data on your device. Moreover, it is advised to follow the steps mentioned in this post very carefully to avoid permanent damage or bricking of your device. If anything goes wrong the author or Cynogenmods.org are not responsible for it.
- Firstly, you need to enable the USB Debugging as well as the OEM unlock from the Developer Settings whose instructions are given above in the pre-requisites section.
- Now, connect your HTC One M8 to the PC via a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt and type in the below command and press Enter;
adb reboot bootloader
- You can also boot into the Fastboot mode. Follow the below steps;
- Turn OFF your phone.
- Now, press and hold the Volume Down + Power button together, until you see the Fastboot logo on your smartphone’s screen.
- Select Fastboot with the help of the Power button.
- Once you have booted into the Fastboot mode, type;
- Now, you need to type in the below command in order to get your bootloader token;
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Go to the HTC Unlock Bootloader website and follow the instruction given to get your bootloader unlock token. Moreover, if your device is not listed in the drop-down list then, you need to select All Other Supported Models option.
- After you are done with the procedure of the above step, your device will automatically reboot.
- That’s It! You have unlocked the bootloader of the HTC One M8 device.
Step 2: Installing Custom Recovery Using Fastboot
- Download the custom TWRP recovery from the above download section.
- Connect your device to the PC via a USB cable.
- In your PC, open a command prompt window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- You can also boot into the Fastboot mode via a key combination mentioned above.
- Once your device is in the Fastboot mode, check whether your PC has detected it by typing:
- Now, flash a recovery onto your device by typing:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-m8.img
- You need to boot into the recovery mode to verify the installation. Alternatively, you can use Fastboot to boot directly into the freshly flashed or any other desired recovery:
fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-m8.img
Steps to Install LineageOS 16 from Recovery
- Download the LineageOS 16 from the above download section.
- Boot into the recovery mode via a key combination mentioned above.
- Now, return back to the Main Menu and then type Wipe.
- To format the data, tap on the Format Data button, to begin the formatting process.
- Now, return to the previous menu and tap on the Advanced Wipe.
- You now need to clear the Cache and System partitions. Swipe to Wipe.
- Now, sideload the LineageOS.zip package:
On the device, select “Advanced“, “ADB Sideload“, then Swipe to begin the sideload process.
On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload filename.zip
- Once the installation is finished run the below command: adb reboot[/highlight]
- That’s it! You have successfully installed the official LineageOS 16 for the HTC One M8 device.
Where to Download Google Camera for HTC One M8 LineageOS 16?
GCam version 6.x and 7.0 such as: GCam 6.2.030 or Gcam 6.1.021 and some or all GCam 7.0 are compatible with any Android Pie ROM in general.
In case you won’t get your device in the above lists, you can always look into the big list of Google Camera for Android Pie page that contains a huge list of GCam for all available devices.
So, there you have it from my side in this article. Hope you guys liked this post and have successfully installed the LineageOS 16 on your HTC One M8 device. Please do let us know in the comments section on whether you have installed the LineageOS 16 on your device and also do let us know all the new features that it has. Moreover, do let us know any issues faced by you while the installation of LineageOS 16 on your device. Note that this is an official LineageOS 16 for the HTC One M8 and all the bugs and issues have been fixed with the latest update. Until the next post…Cheers!