It is quite interesting how Xiaomi packs powerful specs under a budget. The Redmi K20 Pro is the best example for it. Redmi will launch its new and true Flagship killer, the Redmi K20 Pro on July 17th in India, which in some other regions is also known as the Xiaomi Mi 9T. Both are the same devices just a difference in name but the power and the specs that the K20 Pro packs are phenomenal. You can unlock its bootloader and install custom ROMs and enhance its performance by installing mods etc as well. So, in this guide, we will help you with how to unlock the bootloader of the Redmi K20 Pro device.
The best thing about this method is that unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro is very easy and you can do it in no time. But, please keep in mind that as it is a very new smartphone which was launched in June 2019, it is always advisable to unlock the bootloader once the warranty period gets over. However, in case you want to unlock the bootloader and unlock the true potential of your device, you can always go back and re-lock the bootloader as well. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
Quick Specs Review
The Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro will be launched on 17th July 2019. Under the hood, it is powered by the latest and greatest, Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor which is paired with 6GB/8GB of RAM. Trust me this is a lot of power considering the price which it is launched at which is under INR30,000. The device has a battery capacity of 4000 mAh which can easily last a day. In the front, you get a 6.39-inch Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 1080×2340 and an aspect ratio of 19.5:9 and a 403 PPI density. The screen is a Super AMOLED display, gives out gorgeous color reproduction and true details. It also has the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection and HDR as well.
Moreover, in the camera department, you get a triple camera set-up with 48MP + 8MP (telephoto) + 13MP (ultrawide) in the rear and in the front you get a motorized selfie camera which is a 2oMP shooter. The device comes with three variant of storage capacity i.e. 64GB/128GB/256GB which cannot be expanded. You can choose the device from 8GB RAM/256 GB ROM or 128 GB of ROM and 6/8 GB RAM or the 6GB RAM/64 GB ROM variant. Besides, there is an under display fingerprint scanner as well.
What is a Bootloader and the Advantages of unlocking it?
As in all of my post which is based on unlocking the bootloader, I give out information to you, so that, you should be aware of what is a bootloader and what are the advantages or the benefits you get after unlocking it.
A bootloader is a piece of software that, will automatically run, every time you starts up your phone or device. Moreover, the bootloader commands the phone, what programs to load in order to make your phone run. Besides, it is very important to have a functioning bootloader as it the one that starts up your device. This is the reason why bootloaders are stored in a stable memory away from your reach on your device. But, there are methods and solution for every smartphone that can help you to unlock your bootloader. However, you need to follow the steps very carefully in order to avoid any permanent damage caused to your device.
One thing to note is that unlocking your bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, make sure that you are out of the warranty period or you are sure about what you are doing to your device.
But, there are certain advantages once, you have unlocked the bootloader of your device;
- You can install any custom ROM of your choice such as Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix ROM, etc.
- Moreover, you can root your device.
- You can flash TWRP
How To Unlock the Bootloader of Redmi K20 Pro
Now, once you are equipped with all the information regarding bootloader and its advantages and disadvantages, let us get straight into how to unlock the bootloader of Redmi K20 Pro;
NOTE: Before we begin with the unlocking of bootloader, I would strongly recommend you to create a backup of your device storage and all your files stored in your device. Unlocking of bootloader will wipe off the entire data on your device. Moreover, it is advised to follow the steps mentioned in this post very carefully to avoid permanent damage or bricking of your device. If anything goes wrong the author or Cynogenmods.org are not responsible for it.
You need to have the below-mentioned files and tools ready before heading to unlocking the bootloader;
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader of Redmi K20 Pro
- Firstly, you need to enable the Developer Option and activate the USB debugging on Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro. You can do this by going to Settings > About phone > tap MIUI version 7 times. Then, you will see a pop-up message saying You are now a developer.
- Now, again go to Settings > Additional settings > Developer options > USB Debugging and enable it.
- Then you need to activate the OEM unlock status on your Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro. To do this go to Settings > Additional settings > Developer options > Enable OEM Unlock.
- You can now download the Mi Flash Unlock Tool from the above link and extract the zip file on your PC/Laptop.
- Open the MiFlashUnlock file from the folder where you have extracted the files.
- You will now get a disclaimer as shown in the image below, click on Agree.
- Now, in the next step, you will be asked to Log in with your Mi Account. If you don’t have one then Sign up from here.
- Once you are done with the Sign-up or Log in process, the validation process will start and you will get a message that “Your device is not Supported”. You do not need to worry about this message. Simply, click the “Go” button and it will take to the following website: http://en.miui.com/unlock/
- Click on the Unlock Now button as shown in the image above.
- Now, again you will be asked to log in to your Mi account. Fill up the same details of the same Mi account as above.
- You will now receive an OTP for verification on your registered mobile number.
- Then, enter the OTP on the browser to complete the process.
- Now, you just need to wait for the application to unlock the bootloader of your device to be accepted. No need to worry as it will take a maximum of 2 days to get you the approval.
- Once the application is approved, you will again receive a new OTP on your mobile number.
- Enter the OTP on the Unlocking Screen.
- After this, you are done and you can now unlock your device with the help of Mi Unlocking Tool.
- Now, open the folder where you have extracted the Mi Unlock Tool files.
- You will see that your device will be detected after you have gained the approval and the Unlock button will become active.
- Simply just click on Unlock and your bootloader will be unlocked in no time.
- Voila! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Redmi K20 Pro device and now you can install Custom ROMs, flash Custom Recovery and other mods.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you have followed the above-mentioned steps and successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Redmi K20 Pro. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have faced any issues while following the above-mentioned steps and also do report if you come across any link failure as well. Until the next post…Cheers!