This post was last updated on September 17th, 2019 at 07:43 am
LineageOS is one of the most popular Custom ROMs that are downloaded and installed by the users on their smartphones. For those who do not know, it is based on the Android Open Source Project and get a contribution from various contributors in the Android community. You get a brilliant and my favorite stock Android experience with some extra features that enhances the productivity of your smartphones. Moreover, it is a highly recommended Custom ROM for any device by most of the Android community.
As explained in Wikipedia,
LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod, from which it was forked in December 2016 when Cyanogen Inc. announced it was discontinuing development and shut down the infrastructure behind the project. Since Cyanogen Inc. retained the rights to the Cyanogen name, the project rebranded its fork as LineageOS.
How To Download and Install Official LineageOS 16 for OnePlus 6
Download Official LineageOS 16
In this post, we will provide you the link to download the latest build of the official LineageOS 16 which was released recently. You can find the download link of LineageOS below;
- File Name: lineage-16.0-20190617-nightly-enchilada-signed.zip
- Size: 478.29 MB
- Date: 17/06/2019
- Type: nightly
- Version: 16
Pre-requisites Before Installation
You need some pre-requisites before you can install this official LineageOS 16 on your OnePlus 6 device. Below are the requirements;
- You need to unlock your bootloader if you have not done already.
- A Windows PC/Laptop.
- OnePlus 6 USB Drivers.
- ADB and Fastboot Drivers.
- Download TWRP img file (place it in your PC/laptop) and TWRP zip file (place it in your phone’s storage)
- Enable USB Debugging on your OnePlus 6.
- Make sure you have at least 70% battery charge on your device.
Unlocking the bootloader of OnePlus 6
Note: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device! Before proceeding, ensure the data you would like to retain is backed up to your PC and/or your Google account, or equivalent. Also, Cyanogenmods.org or the author is not responsible for any harm done to your device during this process. It is therefore, advised to please follow the steps carefully as mentioned without skipping them.
- Enable OEM Unlock option in the Developer options under device Settings, if present.
- Connect the device to your PC via USB.
- On your computer, open a command prompt (on Windows), and type: adb reboot bootloader
- You can also boot into Fastboot mode via a key combination: With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power.
- Once the device is in Fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing: fastboot devices
- Now type the following command to unlock the bootloader: fastboot oem unlock
- If the device doesn’t automatically reboot, reboot it. It should now be unlocked.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.
Flash the recovery
Before you can go ahead and flash the recovery, you need to enable USB Debugging on your device. For this, go to Settings>> About Phone and then tap on Build Number 7 Times. Then, go to Settings>> Developers Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Enable OEM Unlocking in Developers Options on your OnePlus 6.
- Download the TWRP img file and place it in your PC.
- Now, download the TWRP zip file and place it in your OnePlus 6 internal storage.
- Turn off the device and boot into bootloader by holding Volume Up + Power buttons at the same time.
- Connect your OnePlus 6 device to your PC via USB cable.
- Then head to the folder where TWRP img file is located and open up a command prompt by Pressing Shift + Right Click.
- Type this code in Command Window: fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img (Note: You can also rename the zip file to recovery and type fastboot boot recovery.img)
- This Command will boot in recovery temporarily. Now, you need to go into Install section and select the TWRP zip file which is in internal Storage of your OnePlus 6.
- This will Flash TWRP Recovery in your Device.
Installing LineageOS 16 from Recovery
- Download the LineageOS install package that you’d like to install or build the package yourself. We recommend you to download the latest one whose link is provided in this post.
- If you aren’t already in recovery, reboot into recovery with your OnePlus 6 turned Off, hold Volume Down + Power.
- (Optional, but highly recommended): Tap the Backup button to create a backup. Make sure the backup is copied onto your computer as the internal storage will be formatted later in this process.
- Go back to return to Main menu, then tap Wipe.
- Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage.
- Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe.
- Select the System partition to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
- Sideload the LineageOS .zip package by selecting “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin to sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload filename.zip
- Reboot to recovery and install any additional packages by choosing “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB”, and then sideloading the packages as you did above. The reboot is necessary on devices with A/B (seamless) system updates.
- Once the installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot
Source: LineageOS Wiki
So, there you have it. Follow the above-mentioned steps carefully and you will be able to install the official version of the LineageOS 16 on your OnePlus 6 device. The OnePlus 6 is still a powerful device that packs Snapdragon 845 that is paired with 6/8GB of RAM. The display is 6.28-inch AMOLED screen with a PPI of 402. It has Corning Gorilla Glass 5 Protection. Moreover, the device packs a dual camera set up at the back with 16 MP + 20MP shooters and in the froont, it has 16 MP camera. Under the hood, the device has a 330 mAh battery and has three storage options like 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB.
Please let us know in the comments below if you liked this article and also let us know if you have faced any issues during the installation of the official LineageOS 16 on the OnePlus 6 device.