Do you want to know how to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3, and want to tweak system settings as well as customize your device? If yes, then, you are at the right place as in this post, we will guide you on how to unlock the bootloader Xiaomi Mi A3. Moreover, the first step in customizing the device is basically unlocking the bootloader, after which you can go ahead and install TWRP as well as root your device. Rooting your device gives you the administrative or developer privileges by which you can install custom ROMs, install TWRP Recovery to flash any zip file, install restricted applications and more. You can also install a mod application on your device without any problems.
But, one thing to note is that the unlocking of bootloader voids the warranty of your device. So, it is better to let the warranty period get over and then unlock the bootloader on your device. However, if you love customization and tweaking with the settings of your device to explore new features on your device then, you are at the right place. The Xiaomi Mi A3 has been recently launched in India and the USP is it will be among the first mobiles to get the latest Android Q update as it is based on the Android One program. Note that this guide is only for the Xiaomi Mi A3 smartphone and we would not recommend you to perform the steps mentioned in this post for any other device.
So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
Quick Specs Review of Xiaomi Mi A3
The Xiaomi Mi A3 is recently released in India on August 2019. This device is a mid-range smartphone that packs in some decent specs for the users. It is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 11nm processor which is paired with 4GB/6GB of RAM and coupled with Adreno 610 GPU for powerful gaming performance. The device has a massive battery capacity of 4030 mAh. Moreover, you get the option to choose between two storage i.e. 64GB/128GB. The device also has the dedicated expandable storage slot option via which you can expand the storage up to 256GB. In the display department, you get a 6.01-inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen display with a resolution of 720×1560 pixels with 286 PPI.
The phone runs on Android 9 Pie out of the box and is based on the Android One program and will be among the first devices to receive the Android Q update. Moreover, in the camera department, you get a triple-camera setup with the latest Sony 48MP sensor (f/1.8), an 8MP ultra-wide sensor and 2MP depth sensor as well. The camera features HDR, LED Flash and panorama, etc. In the front, you get a single selfie camera which is housed u-shaped notch that sports a 32MP shooter with an f/2.0 aperture. Another, nice feature that you get with the device is the under-display fingerprint scanner.
How To Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3
But, before we head-on with the step by step guide on how to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3 device, let us take a look at what is unlock bootloader and what advantages and disadvantages are there if you unlock the bootloader?
What is Bootloader and the Advantages of unlocking it?
As in all of my post which is based on unlocking the bootloader, I give out information to you, so that, you should be aware of what is a bootloader and what are the advantages or the benefits you get after unlocking it.
A bootloader is a piece of software that, will automatically run, every time you starts up your phone or device. Moreover, the bootloader commands the phone, what programs to load in order to make your phone run. Besides, it is very important to have a functioning bootloader as it the one that starts up your device. This is the reason why bootloaders are stored in a stable memory away from your reach on your device. But, there are methods and solution for every smartphone that can help you to unlock your bootloader. However, you need to follow the steps very carefully in order to avoid any permanent damage caused to your device.
One thing to note is that unlocking your bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, make sure that you are out of the warranty period or you are sure about what you are doing to your device.
However, there are some disadvantages with unlocking the bootloader;
- You can void your warranty.
- There will be issues with official OTA updates.
- Moreover, you can brick your device or stuck in a boot loop if you do not follow the steps to unlock the bootloader carefully.
But, there are certain advantages once, you have unlocked the bootloader of your device;
- You can install any custom ROM of your choice such as Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix ROM, etc.
- Moreover, you can root your device.
- You can flash TWRP.
- You need a Windows Laptop/Desktop
- Make sure that you charge your device to at least 60% or more
- Take a complete backup of your device
- USB Cable
- This method is only for the Xiaomi Mi A3 and should be used for any other smartphone
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3
As already mentioned above, you need to have an unlocked bootloader in order to install custom ROMs, restricted apps, etc on your device. Please follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader of the device;
- Firstly, you need to enable the Developer Options on your device.
- To do this, go to Settings>>About Phone>>tap on the Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer”.
- Under the Developer Options, you need to enable USB Debugging and the OEM Unlock option as well. To do that again head to the Settings>>Developer Options>>enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
- Download and set-up the ADB and Fastboot tools on our PC.
- Now, you need to connect your smartphone to the PC via a USB cable.
- Wait until all the USB Drivers get installed on your PC.
- Now, head to the same folder where you have extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot tools, and open the CMD or command prompt.
- Now, in the command prompt, enter the below command and press the Enter button on your keyboard;
- You will get a pop-up on your smartphone with a message “Always allow from this computer”. You need to press OK
- Type the below command to enter the bootloader mode, and press Enter;
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, enter the below command so your phone will reboot into Fastboot mode;
fastboot flashing unlock
- Again enter your device into the Fastboot mode by pressing the Volume Down + Power button together.
- Enter the below command;
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- That’s It! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of the Xiaomi Mi A3 device.
You can now go ahead and root your device and install various MODs, custom ROMs or modify the firmware of your device.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you have followed the above-mentioned steps carefully and successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Xiaomi Mi A3 device. Note that this is method is only for unlocking the Xiaomi Mi A3 smartphone. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have faced any issues while following the above-mentioned steps and also do report if you come across any link failure as well.
Moreover, the unlocking of bootloader also helps you in installing the custom ROMs like Lineage OS which is one of the most popular custom ROMs out there and moreover, you can unlock the true potential of the Xiaomi Mi A3 device by unlocking its bootloader. Until the next post…Cheers!