Table of Contents
Do you want to know how to unlock the bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 2 [Official Method], and want to tweak system settings as well as customize your device? If yes, then, you are at the right place as in this post, we will guide you on how to unlock the bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 2 [Official Method]. Moreover, the first step in customizing the device is basically unlocking the bootloader, after which you can go ahead and install TWRP as well as root your device. Rooting your device gives you the administrative or developer privileges by which you can install custom ROMs, install TWRP Recovery to flash any zip file, install restricted applications and more. You can also install a mod application on your device without any problems.
However, you should know one thing that the unlocking of bootloader voids the warranty of your device. So, it is better to let the warranty period get over and then unlock the bootloader on your device. However, if you love customization and tweaking with the settings of your device to explore new features on your device then, you are at the right place. The Asus ROG Phone 2 runs on the Android 9 Pie out of the box. Also, note that this guide is only for the Asus ROG Phone 2 smartphone and is the official method provided by Asus itself for unlocking the bootloader. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
Quick Specs Overview of the Asus ROG Phone 2
The Asus ROG Phone 2 is a gaming beast and is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ processor which is 14% faster than the Snapdragon 855 chipset. Besides, it is paired with 12GB of RAM and coupled with Adreno 640 GPU. The device has a battery capacity of a humongous 6000 mAh and reverse-charging as well and supports fast-charging up to 30W (Quick Charge 4). Moreover, you get two storage options to choose from i.e. 256/512GB. In the display department, you get a 6.59-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 1080×2340 pixels with an aspect ratio of 19.5:9 along with 391 PPI. The phone runs on Android 9 Pie out of the box.
Moreover, in the camera department, you get a dual-camera setup with the latest 48MP autofocus camera with f/1.8 aperture and a 13MP f/2.4 ultra-wide camera. The camera features Dual-LED flash, HDR, and panorama. In the front, you get a single selfie camera which is a 24MP shooter with an f/2.2 aperture. The Asus ROG Phone 2 device sports the under-display fingerprint scanner as well.
How To Unlock Bootloader on Asus ROG Phone 2
But, before we head-on with the step by step guide on how to unlock the bootloader on the Asus ROG Phone 2, let us take a look at what is unlock bootloader and what advantages and disadvantages are there if you unlock the bootloader?
What is Bootloader and the Advantages of unlocking it?
As in all of my post which is based on unlocking the bootloader, I give out information to you, so that, you should be aware of what is a bootloader and what are the advantages or the benefits you get after unlocking it.
A bootloader is a code that will automatically run, every time you starts up your phone or device. Moreover, the bootloader commands the phone, what programs to load in order to make your phone run. Besides, it is very important to have a functioning bootloader as it the one that starts up your device. This is the reason why bootloaders are stored in a stable memory away from your reach on your device. But, there are methods and solution for every smartphone that can help you to unlock your bootloader. However, you need to follow the steps very carefully in order to avoid any permanent damage caused to your device.
One thing to note is that unlocking your bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, make sure that you are out of the warranty period or you are sure about what you are doing to your device.
However, there are some disadvantages with unlocking the bootloader;
- You can void your warranty.
- There will be issues with official OTA updates.
- Moreover, you can brick your device or stuck in a boot loop if you do not follow the steps to unlock the bootloader carefully.
But, there are certain advantages once, you have unlocked the bootloader of your device;
- You can install any custom ROM of your choice such as Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix ROM, etc.
- Moreover, you can root your device.
- You can flash TWRP.
- This guide is only for the Asus ROG Phone 2 smartphone.
- Make sure to charge your device to at least 60% or more.
- Take a complete back up of your device.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Asus ROG Phone 2
As already mentioned above, you need to have an unlocked bootloader in order to install custom ROMs, restricted apps, etc on your device. Please follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader of the device;
NOTE: Before we begin with the unlocking of bootloader, I would strongly recommend you to create a backup of your device storage and all your files stored on your device. Unlocking of bootloader will wipe off the entire data on your device. Moreover, it is advised to follow the steps mentioned in this post very carefully to avoid permanent damage or bricking of your device. If anything goes wrong the author or Cynogenmods.org are not responsible for it.
- Firstly, as this is the official method, Asus has provided an official way to unlock the bootloader of the Asus ROG Phone 2.
- Go to the Official Asus Support Page to download the Asus Utility application.
- Once you are on the page, under Drivers and utilities section select Android as the operating system.
- Then under the Utility section, you will find the Unlock Device App: Unlock the boot loader application.
- Press the Download button (Your download will start and a file with the name ZS660KL_SIGNED_UnlockTool_126.96.36.199_190702_fulldpi.apk will be downloaded)
- Once the download is complete, install the application on your Asus ROG Phone 2 smartphone like you would side-load any application on your device.
- Now, to unlock the bootloader. you just need to follow the instructions provided in the downloaded official unlock the application.
- That’s It! You will successfully unlock the bootloader on the Asus ROG Phone 2 smartphone, officially and easily.
You can now go ahead and root your device and install various MODs, custom ROMs or modify the firmware of your device.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you have followed the above-mentioned steps carefully and successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Asus ROG Phone 2. Note that this is method is the official way for unlocking the Asus ROG Phone 2. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have faced any issues while following the above-mentioned steps and also do report if you come across any link failure as well.
Moreover, the unlocking of bootloader also helps you in installing the custom ROMs like Lineage OS which is one of the most popular custom ROMs out there and moreover, you can unlock the true potential of the Asus ROG Phone 2 device by unlocking its bootloader. Until the next post…Cheers!