Table of Contents
In this guide, we will help you with how to install TWRP recovery and root the Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] smartphone. The Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] device was launched recently in the month of June 2019 and soon after its release, the TWRP added this device to their support list and now there is an official version of the TWRP Recovery for the Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] device. Moreover, the Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] packs high-end specs considering the device is built for gamers. In this post, we will guide you in detail along with all the information that you need to understand and root your Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J].
If you are a regular at rooting your device, you might know the drill that we first flash the TWRP Recovery on the device and then root it. Besides, after you are done installing the TWRP recovery on your device, you can go ahead and install the latest version of the Magisk on the Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] for root access. Moreover, the need to install the TWRP recovery lets you install mods or any custom ROM on your device. We will give you the link to download the TWRP for the Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J]. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
Quick Specs Review of Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J]
The Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] was released in June 2019. This device is the gaming beast and packs in some high-end specs for the gamers. It is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 octa-core processor which is paired with 8GB of RAM and coupled with Adreno 640 GPU for powerful gaming performance. The device has a massive battery capacity of 5000 mAh. Moreover, you get the option of only one storage i.e. 128GB. The device lacks the dedicated expandable storage slot option. In the display department, you get a 6.65-inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080×2340 pixels with 388 PPI. The phone runs on Android 9 Pie out of the box.
Moreover, in the camera department, you get a single-camera setup with the latest Exmor-RS CMOS Sensor 48MP sensor (f/1.8). The features include Digital Zoom, Auto Flash, Face detection, and Touch to focus. The camera features HDR, and panorama, etc. In the front, you get a single selfie camera which is housed in the bezel that sports a 16MP shooter with an f/2.0 aperture. Another, nice feature that you get with the device is the rear-mounted fingerprint scanner.
How To Install TWRP Recovery and Root Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J]
What is TWRP?
Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is an open-source software custom recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touchscreen-enabled interface that allows users to install third-party firmware and back up the current system which is functions often unsupported by stock recovery images. It is, therefore, often installed when flashing, installing, or rooting Android devices, although it isn’t dependent on a device being rooted prior to installation.
- Backups of partitions in TAR or raw Image format
- Restore backups from internal storage, external SD storage or OTG devices
- Custom Firmware installation
- Partition wiping
- File deletion
- Terminal access
- ADB Root Shell
- Theme Support
- Possible decryption support depending on the device
Advantages of TWRP
- You can install custom ROMs like LineageOS, Resurrection Remix, etc.
- Moreover, you can also root your device by flashing the SuperSu zip file.
- You can take Android backup of your device very easily.
- You can install MODs easily.
Disadvantages of TWRP
- You will lose the warranty of your device forever.
- Also, you might get a boot loop or permanent damage while installing any custom ROMs.
- You can brick your device if you do not pay attention while flashing any ROMs.
- Moreover, you will not receive the official OTA Updates from Company.
Before heading to the instructions, please take a look at the list below;
- This guide is only for the Nubia Red Magic 3 smartphone. So, it should not be attempted on any other device.
- Make sure to charge your device at least 60%.
- More importantly, please make a complete backup of the device storage and all the files in your device before rooting your device.
- Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader. You can check out our guide on How to unlock the bootloader of Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] by clicking the link below;
|How To Unlock Bootloader of Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J]|
- Official TWRP Recovery for Nubia Red Magic 3
- Decryption File
- MAGISK for Rooting
- ADB and Fastboot Tools
- USB Drivers for Nubia Red Magic
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on the Nubia Red Magic [NX629J]
- Firstly, you need to enable the Developer Options on your device.
- To do this, go to Settings>>About Phone>>tap on the Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer”.
- Under the Developer Options, you need to enable the USB Debugging option. To do that again head to the Settings>>Developer Options>>enable USB Debugging.
- Download the ADB and Fastboot tools from the download section above.
- Go the folder where you have extracted the ADB and Fastboot tools.zip contents and open the command prompt in that folder by holding the shift button and right-click button.
- Switch off your device completely and connect it to the PC via a USB Cable.
- Now, you need to boot your device into the Fastboot mode by pressing Power + Volume Up key together till you see the Fastboot logo on your device’s screen.
- Now enter the following command and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, type the below command to check whether your device is detected by the PC and all the Fastboot drivers are installed correctly or not;
(If your device’s serial number is listed in the list of connected devices then, you are good to go ahead. But, if your device’s serial number is not listed on the list then, you need to install all the drivers again)
- Now enter the following command to flash TWRP recovery image and hit Enter:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- That’s it! You have flashed the TWRP recovery on the Nubia Red Magic 3 using the ADB and Fastboot commands.
What is Root?
Rooting any device gives the users the privilege controls or the developer controls and totally unlocks your device so that you can manipulate all the settings, even the finest ones on your device. Rooting gives your device the administrative privileges or permission to overcome the limitation your OEM might have put on your device or your carrier. Some, of the mod applications or the specialized apps, require some special permission which is not possible with a device that does not have root. But, if you have gained root access to your device then, you can install such apps and extend the features of your device.
Devices are locked by the OEMs so that, the user by mistake or by will, do not uninstall the files that are required by the smartphone to operate seamlessly. However, there are times when the true potential of the device is also locked.
Advantages of Root
Moreover, you can do the following, if you root your device;
- Install a custom ROMs like (Lineage OS)
- Remove preinstalled bloatware.
- Block Ads in any apps.
- Install incompatible Apps and modded applications.
- Keep up to date with the latest Android OS.
- Change Skin for your Android.
- Boost your Android device’s speed and battery life.
- Make complete backups of your smartphone.
Disadvantages of Root
- Rooting can brick your smartphone or cause permanent damage if not done properly.
- You straight away void the warranty of your smartphone.
- You will no longer receive the stable and official OTA updates from your OEMs.
Steps To Root Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J]
- Download the latest Magisk from the download section above.
- You need to copy the Magisk to the internal storage or SD card’s root location.
- Restart the device in recovery mode.
- Open TWRP Recovery and tap on the Install button.
- Locate the Magisk file and Swipe to install.
- Reboot the device.
- That’s It! You have now rooted the Nubia Red Magic 3 smartphone.
You can now go ahead and install various MODs, custom ROMs or modify the firmware of your device.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you have followed the above-mentioned steps carefully and successfully installed TWRP and rooted your Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] device. Note that this is method is only for the Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] smartphone. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have faced any issues while following the above-mentioned steps and also do report if you come across any link failure as well.
Moreover, the rooting and installation of TWRP give you the freedom to install the custom ROMs like Lineage OS which is one of the most popular custom ROMs out there and moreover, you can unlock the true potential of the Nubia Red Magic 3 [NX629J] device by rooting and flashing the TWRP. Until the next post…Cheers!