A working mod of GCam or Google Camera 7.0 for Redmi Note 8 running on Android Pie is now available to download which is built by parrot043. This build of Google Camera APK (GCam) 7.0 for Redmi Note 8 has almost all the features working.
Available GCam versions
Below are the available versions of GCam for Redmi Note 8.
- GCam 7.4 (Latest Version)
- GCam 7.3
- GCam 7.0
- GCam 6.2
The Google camera 6.2 provides night sight and the GCam 7.0 or 7.3 provides Astrophotography mode on Redmi Note 8. The below section contains working and not-working features on this GCam.
– No access to auxiliary camera sensors (Wide angle and Zoom or Macro)
Where to Download GCam for Redmi Note 8?
Below are the download link(s) of compatible Gcam APK for Redmi Note 8 –
GCam 7.4 for Redmi Note 8
GCam 7.3 Download for Redmi Note 8:
GCam 7.0 Download for Redmi Note 8:
GCam 6.2 Download for Redmi Note 8:
How to Install the Google Camera on Redmi Note 8?
- Download a compatible GCam APK from the above download link(s).
- To install apps from a third party app other than Play Store you need to enable app install from Unknown Sources on your Android device.
For Android Oreo or Pie version, enable Install Unknown Apps from the app from which you are going to install the Google Camera APK.
For example: if you have downloaded the Google Camera apk file on Google chrome or firefox browser on your phone.
Or you have downloaded and copied the apk file to the file browser and you want to install it from there.
Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Open the app (Chrome, Firefox or file manager app etc) > Install unknown apps and enable Allow from this source
- Once enabled, click on the downloaded app to install.
- Once installed you can clear the app data and open the app and enjoy the feature packed Google Camera APK on Redmi Note 8.
How to enable Astro Photography mode on Redmi Note 8 Google Camera 7.x
By default the astro photography mode is enabled on this GCam 7 for Redmi Note 8. In case you still want to change the setting, follow the below instructions to enable or disable the astrophotography mode.
- Go to GCam Settings
- Scroll down and go to Advanced settings
- Then scroll down almost to the end till you get Use astrophotography Mode under Night Sight settings.
Below are the screenshots that shows how to enable the astrophotography mode.
How to shoot in astrophotography mode on GCam 7.0?
Once the Astrophotography mode is enabled, there are certain conditions to be met to capture photos in that mode.
Following conditions must be met to capture in Astrophotography mode (known as cuttlefish in Google Camera ports like this):
– It can be enabled on Night Sight mode (only)
– The phone must be kept static (use a tripod or keep the phone somewhere to keep it static)
– There must be low light condition
– It may take few seconds for this mode to come up when the above conditions are met
See the below screenshots to get an idea how to know if it is shooting in Astrophotography mode in GCam 7.0?
When I kept the phone static in front of a good light source, the Astrophotography mode did not turn on no matter how longer I waited.
So, make sure it is a low light environment.