The latest, LineageOS 18 for Redmi Note 9S / 9 Pro / 9 Pro Max is now available from an unofficial build which is brought to you by developer wight445. LineageOS 18 is the latest build which is based on the latest available Android 11 update.
This post explains how to install LineageOS 18 on Redmi Note 9 Pro, in a step-by-step guide. This guide only refers the name of Redmi Note 9 Pro, but this build supports multiple devices listed below.
Donation to Developer(s)
LineageOS 18 development and porting is a volunteer based work! If you want this project keep going, please contribute to the developer(s) and the LineageOS project.
– Donate to wight445
– Donate to LineageOS project
This is an initial build of LineageOS 18 for Redmi Note 9 Pro which has many BUGs. So, backup your current firmware to go back if something goes wrong!
Download LineageOS 18 for Redmi Note 9 Pro
Below is the direct download link to the latest build of LineageOS 18 for Redmi Note 9 Pro
Other Requirements to Install LineageOS 18 on Redmi Note 9 Pro
To be able to install any Android 11 ROM build on the phone, it must have an unlocked bootloader and a compatible custom recovery installed.
So, to make it easier for you, we have included appropriate guides on how to unlock bootloader and install recovery in the below sections.
In addition, the custom ROMs usually lack any Google Apps like: Google Play, Google Maps, etc. out of the box. So, the post installation requiremnt is, GApps for Android 11.
Redmi Note 9 Pro LineageOS 18 System Build Information (latest build)
I have verified the build for its legitimacy by extracting the system image. Below are the data what I have got, which clearly presents this to be a valid build for the phone:
ro.build.id=RP1A.200720.009 ro.build.version.release=11 ro.build.date=Fri Sep 18 15:00:41 EEST 2020 ro.build.flavor=lineage_miatoll-userdebug ro.build.product=miatoll ro.build.description=lineage_miatoll-userdebug 11 RP1A.200720.009 eng.wight5.20200918.144602 test-keys
So, basically below are the devices that fall under this which support this LineageOS 18 build:
– Redmi Note 9S Global Variant (curtana)
– Redmi Note 9 Pro Indian Variant (curtana)
– Redmi Note 9 Pro Global Variant (joyeuse)
– Redmi Note 9 Pro Max (excalibur)
– Poco M2 Pro (gram)
How to Update Redmi Note 9 Pro to LineageOS 18 (Android 11)?
To install LineageOS 18 on a phone, it must have a custom recovery, which in turn, requires an unlocked bootloader.
This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Finally, installing LineageOS 18 ROM
Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro
Follow this guide to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro.The bootloader must be unlocked on the phone before you can flash a custom recoery and the LineageOS 18 ROM!
Install custom recovery on Redmi Note 9 Pro
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on Redmi Note 9 Pro. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- TWRP for Redmi Note 9 Pro – The link contains instructions on how to Install TWRP recovery on the phone
Install LineageOS 18 on Redmi Note 9 Pro
- Download the LineageOS 18 ROM for Redmi Note 9 Pro and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC, if you intend to install it using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery mode (TWRP, Lineage or any other recovery) and then Wipe the data, Cache, System and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise you will lose all your phone data!– This step will erase the current firmware and probably all the data stored in the phone. You can choose to keep a backup of all the files and the boot and system partition so that you can rollback if the new build doesn’t work properly.
- Install LineageOS 18 using TWRP recovery or any custom recovery of your choice
Use ADB Sideload to install the LineageOS 18 on Redmi Note 9 Pro.
You can use any one of the above mentioned method to install the zip file on the phone.
- Once done, reboot the phone to boot into LineageOS 18 on Redmi Note 9 Pro which is based on Android 11.
After installing the LineageOS 18 ROM you are good to go with the phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to get the most out of your phone!
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the LineageOS 18 ROM on your Redmi Note 9 Pro.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Search a compatible Google Camera in the Android 11 GCam page for your phone that may run on this LineageOS 18 ROM.
Also, visit the Redmi Note 9 Pro (curtana) page to get other Android 11 ROMs or other device specific topics.