If you are looking for a smartphone in the early mid-range segment then, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is your best bet. The device has aggressive pricing and also packs decent hardware specs. Moreover, the device also offers an all-round package for the price that it is available. And, keeping up the pace with other competitors in the market like the Realme 3 Pro is quite challenging yet, Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro has done a good job. Besides, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is now officially supported by the Lineage OS 16 and in this post, we will guide you on how to download and install official Lineage OS 16 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro.
The Lineage OS is one of the best and most popular custom ROMs available to install for a huge range of devices. And, this is courtesy of the XDA Senior Member, xdatman. The latest Lineage OS 16 is now updated with more features and bug fixes. However, you need to have an unlocked bootloader in order to install the Lineage OS 16 for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro. One thing to note that is the custom ROMs does not support the 48MP camera at the rear of the Redmi Note 7 Pro but, you can use 12MP resolution for the rear camera. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into how to download and install official Lineage OS 16 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro.
- 1 What is Lineage OS?
- 2 Download and Install Official Lineage OS 16 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
- 3 Specifications Overview of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
- 4 Conclusion
What is Lineage OS?
Lineage OS is one of the most popular Custom ROMs that are downloaded and installed by the users on their smartphones. For those who do not know, it is based on the Android Open Source Project and get a contribution from various contributors in the Android community. You get a brilliant and my favorite stock Android experience with some extra features that enhances the productivity of your smartphones. Moreover, it is a highly recommended Custom ROM for any device by most of the Android community.
As explained in Wikipedia;
Lineage OS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod, from which it was forked in December 2016 when Cyanogen Inc. announced it was discontinuing development and shut down the infrastructure behind the project. Since Cyanogen Inc. retained the rights to the Cyanogen name, the project rebranded its fork as Lineage OS.
Advantages of Custom ROM
- Custom ROMs are built to perform faster than stock ROM.
- They are more stylish and eye-catching in terms of interface/UI.
- You will get some extra features in custom ROMs.
- Moreover, after installing a custom ROM, you will also notice a slight increase in the performance of your device.
- The Custom ROM installation also comes very handy when your device is operating or running on an older Android version. Custom ROMs like Lineage OS can get you the taste of the latest Android version.
Disadvantages of Custom ROM
- For installing custom ROMs you need to have unlocked the bootloader.
- You need to have a custom recovery like TWRP, installed and also root access on your device.
- If anything goes wrong with the custom ROM installation process, you can cause permanent damage or might brick your device.
- Moreover, if you install a non-optimized custom ROM on your device then, your device will become laggier.
- The final but most important disadvantage is that your device warranty will be voided and you will not be able to receive official OTA updates on your device.
Download and Install Official Lineage OS 16 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
- This guide is only for Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro users. We would advise you not to follow this guide if you are not the users of Xaiomi Redmi Note 7 Pro.
- This method requires you to have a PC/Laptop.
- Make sure to charge your device up to at least 70%.
- You need to download the correct USB drivers for your device first.
- Download all the files from the download section.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro Lineage OS 16 Lineage OS 16
- ADB and Fastboot drivers ADB and Fastboot tools
- Google Apps Google Apps
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
- You need to visit the Xioami’s Unlocking website and apply for the official unlocking permissions.
- The approval might take a few days. So, wait for the official approval to arrive.
- You also need to link your Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro to the Mi account. You can do this by heading to Settings > Additional settings > Developer options > Mi Unlock status. Also, note that this step is very important as it will start the 360 hours of waiting period before you can unlock the device.
- After you receive the approval from Xiaomi, visit the website again and you will be redirected to the Mi Unlock app download page.
- Once the 360 hours waiting period is over, run the Mi Unlock app and follow the instructions carefully within the app.
- Now, this will verify your device as well as the Mi account and once it is done, the device bootloader will be unlocked.
- You will be required to enable the USB Debugging again as the bootloader unlocking resets the device.
Steps to Install a Custom Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
There are two special boot modes that you can enter on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro device;
- Recovery Mode – Turn OFF your device. Press and hold Volume Up + Power button together till the Mi Logo appears on the screen. Then, release them.
- Download Mode – Turn OFF your device. Press and hold Volume Down + Power button together till the FASTBOOT word appears on the screen. Then, release them.
- You need to download any custom recovery like TWRP.
- Now, connect your Redmi Note 7 Pro to the PC via a USB cable.
- In your PC, open a command prompt window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- You can also boot into the Fastboot mode via a key combination mentioned above.
- Once your device is in the Fastboot mode, check whether your PC has detected it by typing:
- Now, flash a recovery onto your device by typing:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-violet.img
- You need to boot into the recovery mode to verify the installation. Alternatively, you can use Fastboot to boot directly into the freshly flashed or any other desired recovery:
fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-violet.img
Steps to Install Lineage OS 16 from Recovery
- Download the Lineage OS 16 from the above download section.
- You can also optionally download the Google Apps (arm64) for your Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro.
- Boot into the recovery mode via a key combination mentioned above.
- Now, return back to the Main Menu and then type Wipe.
- To format the data, tap on the Format Data button, to begin the formatting process.
- Now, return to the previous menu and tap on the Advanced Wipe.
- You now need to clear the Cache and System partitions. Swipe to Wipe.
- Now, sideload the Lineage OS.zip package:
On the device, select “Advanced“, “ADB Sideload“, then Swipe to begin the sideload process.
On the host machine, sideload the package using: adb sideload filename.zip
- Once the installation is finished run the below command: adb reboot[/highlight]
- That’s it! You have successfully installed the official Lineage OS 16 for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro device.
Specifications Overview of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 chipset which is paired with either 4GB of RAM. You also get two storage options for the Redmi Note 7 Pro i.e. 64GB and the 128GB. In the display department, the device has a 6.3-inch IPS LCD drop-notch display with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, with 409 PPI density. It also comes with the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection for the display. Under the hood, the device is powered by a 4000 mAh battery and supports the Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0the device runs on the latest Android 9 Pie.
The main focal point or the USP of the device lies in the camera department. The device has a dual-camera setup with 48MP+5MP shooters. The 48MP is the wide-angle camera and also has a dual-tone LED Flash. There is a 13MP is the selfie camera. Moreover, the device has a fingerprint sensor on the back.
So, there you have it from my side in this article. Hope you guys liked this post and have successfully installed the Lineage OS 16 on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro. Please do let us know in the comments section on whether you have installed the Lineage OS 16 on your device and also do let us know all the new features that it has. Moreover, do let us know any issues faced by you while the installation of Lineage OS 16 on your device. Note that this is an official Lineage OS 16 for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and all the bugs and issues have been fixed with the latest update. Until the next post…Cheers!