Asus Zenfone 6 or the 6z (in India) has finally after a long wait got the Lineage OS 16 Custom ROM. However, this ROM is not the official version of the Lineage OS 16. This is developed by one of the Senior XDAdevelopers, luca020400. So, a big thanks to him for his efforts and time, he has put in developing this custom ROM for the Asus Zenfone 6z. The Asus Zenfone 6 or 6z is companies latest flagship for the 2019 and is in the news for its innovative camera module that acts as the rear as well as the front-facing camera. Moreover, the rotating hinge makes this possible in the Asus Zenfoe 6z. There are some amazing camera angles that you can take the photos and videos from this smartphone.
Also, there is a feature in the camera which, while video recording follows the subject wherever it moves. Moreover, we will talk about the other specs in the Specification section. There is a first update release for this Lineage OS 16 by the developer and it has fixed issues like bugs with OK/Hey Google keyword detection, Bluetooth A2DP streaming, and double tap to wake, but there are lingering issues with LTE connectivity that is currently being investigated and efforts are being made to fix it.
You can check out the tweet from luca020400 below;
— Luca Stefani (@luca020400) July 10, 2019
So, without any further ado let us get straight into the article itself;
Specifications of Asus Zenfone 6z
The Asus Zenfone 6 is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset which is paired with either 6GB/8GB of RAM. You also get three storage options for the Asus Zenfone 6 i.e. 64GB/128GB/256GB. In the display department, the device has a 6.4-inch IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, and an aspect ratio of 19.5:9 with 403 PPI density. Under the hood, the device is powered by the huge 5000 mAh battery and the device runs on the latest Android 9 Pie.
The main focal point or the USP of the device lies in the camera department. The device has a flip rotating camera that acts as the main shooter as well as the front selfie camera as well. You get a dual camera setup with 48MP+13MP shooters. The 48MP is the wide-angle camera and the 13MP is the ultrawide camera. Moreover, the device has a protection of Corning Gorilla Glass 6 on the display.
What is Lineage OS?
Lineage OS is one of the most popular Custom ROMs that are downloaded and installed by the users on their smartphones. For those who do not know, it is based on the Android Open Source Project and get a contribution from various contributors in the Android community. You get a brilliant and my favorite stock Android experience with some extra features that enhances the productivity of your smartphones. Moreover, it is a highly recommended Custom ROM for any device by most of the Android community.
As explained in Wikipedia;
Lineage OS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod, from which it was forked in December 2016 when Cyanogen Inc. announced it was discontinuing development and shut down the infrastructure behind the project. Since Cyanogen Inc. retained the rights to the Cyanogen name, the project rebranded its fork as Lineage OS.
Advantages of Custom ROM
- Custom ROMs are built to perform faster than stock ROM.
- They are more stylish and eye-catching in terms of interface/UI.
- You will get some extra features in custom ROMs.
- Moreover, after installing a custom ROM, you will also notice a slight increase in the performance of your device.
- The Custom ROM installation also comes very handy when your device is operating or running on an older Android version. Custom ROMs like Lineage OS can get you the taste of the latest Android version.
Disadvantages of Custom ROM
- For installing custom ROMs you need to have unlocked the bootloader.
- You need to have a custom recovery like TWRP, installed and also root access on your device.
- If anything goes wrong with the custom ROM installation process, you can cause permanent damage or might brick your device.
- Moreover, if you install a non-optimized custom ROM on your device then, your device will become laggier.
- The final but most important disadvantage is that your device warranty will be voided and you will not be able to receive official OTA updates on your device.
Download and Install Official Lineage OS 16 on Asus Zenfone 6z
- This guide is only for Asus Zenfone 6z users. We would advise you not to follow this guide if you are not the users of Asus Zenfone 6z.
- This method requires you to have a PC/Laptop.
- Make sure to charge your device up to at least 70%.
- You need to download the correct USB drivers for your device first.
- Download all the files from the download section.
- Asus Zenfone 6z Lineage OS 16 – Lineage OS 16
- ADB and Fastboot drivers link – ADB and Fastboot Tools
- Download link for GApps – GApps
- Link for root Add-ons – Root Add-ons
Steps To Install Lineage OS 16 on Asus Zenfone 6z
O nce you have read the pre-requisites and ahave downloaded all the files mentioned in the Download Section, then you head to the instructions below to install the Lineage OS 16 on your Asus Zenfone 6z;
- Firstly, you need to download the LineageOS 16 ROM for Asus 6z from the download section in your PC/Laptop.
- Then, download and install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC/laptop.
- Now, connect your device to your PC via USB cable. We would advise you to use the USB cable provided with your Asus Zenfone 6z.
- Boot your device into Fastboot mode and make sure USB Debugging is enabled. To enable it, go to Settings>>About Phone>>Tap on the Build Number 7 times to enable the developer option. Then again go to Settings>>Developer Option>>Enable USB Debugging.
- Extract the Lineage OS 16 custom ROM on the same folder where ADB and Fastboot drivers are installed.
- Now, you need to open the Command prompt window in the same folder where you have extracted and kept all the files, by holding shift and clicking the right button of your mouse.
- Now type this command in Command Prompt or Powershell window:
- Then, type this command:
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Now you need to type this command:
fastboot flash system system.img
- Then, to wipe the data on your device, enter the below command:
- Once the installation process is completed, you can type the below command to reboot your device:
- After your device is rebooted, download Gapps and Root add-ons from the download section in your device and paste them in either internal or external storage.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery.
- Once you have booted into TWRP recovery, tap on the Install button.
- Then, browse the location where you have pasted the Gapps and Swipe right to start the installation process.
- You can follow the same procedure as mentioned above to flash Root Add-ons same like installing GApps.
- Now, go back to the main screen and reboot your device.
- Voila! That’s it. Now you have successfully installed the Lineage OS 16 on your Asus Zenfone 6z.
So, there you have it from my side in this article. Hope you guys liked this post and have successfully installed the Lineage OS 16 on your Asus Zenfone 6z. Please do let us know in the comments section on whether you have installed the Lineage OS 16 on your device and also do let us know all the new features that it has. Moreover, do let us know any issues faced by you while the installation of the Lineage OS for Asus Zenfone 6. Please do note that this is an unofficial Lineage OS 16 for the Asus Zenfone 6z and there will be some bugs and glitches in this custom ROM which will be definitely fixed with future updates.
You can also read related articles on the Asus Zenfone 6 which we have covered previously, by clicking the link below;How To Download and Install Google Camera Port for Asus ZenFone 6 How To Unlock Asus ZenFone 6 Bootloader