This post was last updated on September 9th, 2019 at 03:35 am
Android 10, the most awaited thing in the smartphone market is right here and has been rolled out for Pixel devices. Google recently changed the way they used to name their OS and breaking their long followed tradition, this time around Google is going with a simple name i.e. Android 10 for the latest OS. There is no dessert name to follow for the latest Android Q or Android 10 operating system. Moreover, Google has not kept any of its Pixel devices out of reach of the latest Android 10 as, all the Pixel devices (right from the first one) are going to receive the Android 10 update at the same time (one of the best perks of having a Pixel device). And if you have one, this post will help you with how to install Android 10 on any Pixel device – a step by step guide.
Google also has changed the logo of the latest Android 10 OS and now you can see the Droid bot’s head along with a new shade of green. It is nice that the company not only has revamped the Android OS but also has changed the look and experience of the Android logo and name. Moreover, other OEM devices will take months to roll out the Android 10 update for their devices and it also depends whether your device is compatible or not. However, that is not in the case for the Google Pixel devices as all the Pixel devices will be receiving the updates and that has been rolled out already.
So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
- 1 How To Install Android 10 on Any Pixel Device – A Step by Step Guide
- 1.1 Method 1: Download via OTA Update
- 1.2 Method 2: Flash Android 10 on Pixel Device
- 1.3 Method 3: Fastboot Flash
How To Install Android 10 on Any Pixel Device – A Step by Step Guide
We will be providing you all the methods via which you can go ahead and install the Android 10 update on your Pixel device. But, also note that you need to have a Pixel device and not any other OEM device.
Method 1: Download via OTA Update
It is the easiest way to upgrade your Pixel device to the latest Android 10 update. Moreover, you do not need to reinstall anything or go through any tedious process in order to enjoy the Android 10 update on your Pixel device. Follow the below steps to download the OTA update;
- Go to the Settings menu on your device.
- Then scroll down and tap on System Update.
- Now, tap on select Check for update.
- That’s it!
If there is Android 10 update available for your Pixel device then, your device will automatically start downloading the latest Android 10 update on your device which later you can install pretty easily. However, if you want to install Android 10 on a clean slate then, follow the below guides.
Method 2: Flash Android 10 on Pixel Device
Flashing Android 10 on your Pixel device will take some time as compared to the OTA update. Moreover, flashing the update will also clean up the data stored on your device as you need to unlock the bootloader of your device. So, it is advised that you need to follow the instructions carefully;
- A Pixel Device
- Charge your device fully or to at least 70% to avoid any issues
- A Windows PC on laptop
- USB cable
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your device
- Android 10 Factory Image Factory Image
- Android 10 OTA Update OTA Update file
- ADB and Fastboot Tools ADB and Fastboot Tools
- Winrar or 7zip
What is Bootloader and the Advantages of unlocking it?
As in all of my post which is based on unlocking the bootloader, I give out information to you, so that, you should be aware of what is a bootloader and what are the advantages or the benefits you get after unlocking it.
A bootloader is a piece of software that, will automatically run, every time you starts up your phone or device. Moreover, the bootloader commands the phone, what programs to load in order to make your phone run. Besides, it is very important to have a functioning bootloader as it the one that starts up your device. This is the reason why bootloaders are stored in a stable memory away from your reach on your device. But, there are methods and solution for every smartphone that can help you to unlock your bootloader. However, you need to follow the steps very carefully in order to avoid any permanent damage caused to your device.
One thing to note is that unlocking your bootloader will void the warranty of your device. So, make sure that you are out of the warranty period or you are sure about what you are doing to your device.
However, there are some disadvantages with unlocking the bootloader;
- You can void your warranty.
- There will be issues with official OTA updates.
- Moreover, you can brick your device or stuck in a boot loop if you do not follow the steps to unlock the bootloader carefully.
But, there are certain advantages once, you have unlocked the bootloader of your device;
- You can install any custom ROM of your choice such as Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix ROM, etc.
- Moreover, you can root your device.
- You can flash TWRP.
Steps to Unlocking the Bootloader on Pixel Device
- Enable Developer Options:
- Go to Settings>> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Now, go back to the Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlock.
- To enable it, go to Settings>>Developer options>> Enable OEM Unlock
- Now, plug in the Pixel device to the PC via USB cable.
- Download and extract the contents of the ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC.
- Open a command prompt on the same folder where you have extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Enter the below command to enter your Pixel device into the bootloader mode;
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, enter the below command to unlock the bootloader of your Pixel device. Keep in mind that this step will wipe off the data on your smartphone;
fastboot flashing unlock
- Use the Volume Up key to confirm Yes when your device screen pop’s up with a confirmation screen.
- Once the device is unlocked, it will reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Now, simply enter the below command to finish the process;
- That’s it! You have unlocked the bootloader of your device.
Steps to Flash Android 10 on your Pixel device
- In the command prompt, enter the below command and press the Enter button on your keyboard;
- The above command will show whether your device is detected by the PC and all the Fastboot drivers are installed correctly or not;
- The output would be like:
List of devices attached <device serial number> device(If your device’s serial number is listed in the list of connected devices then, you are good to go ahead. But, if your device’s serial number is not listed on the list then, you need to install all the drivers again)
- The output would be like:
- Download the Factory image file of the Android 10 from the download section above.
- Use the 7zip or Winrar to extract the “.tgz” file and again extract the “.tar” file which will create a folder containing several Android 10 related files.
- Copy all the files and paste it into the ADB and Fastboot folder called “platform tools” which will be located in Program Files (x86) folder on Windows.
- Now, there will be two flash files. Windows users need to select the flash file with the name “Windows Batch File“.
- You will see a screen will pop up and the installation process will begin. Make sure that you do not unplug your device for any reason at all.
- Once the installation is completed, your Pixel device will automatically reboot.
- The first bootup after flashing the Android 10 will take some time. So, have patience.
- Once the device boots up, disconnect your device from the PC.
- That’s it! You have now successfully flashed the Android 10 OS on your Pixel Device.
The above method is the most effective and the best method if you wish to install the Android 10 on your Pixel device. However, for any reason your device does not respond to the above method then, follow the below method.
Method 3: Fastboot Flash
- Make sure that you are in the proper bootloader state and your Pixel device is connected to the PC.
- Then type the below command in the command prompt;
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader name>.img
- Now type the below command;
- Type in the following command to flash radio;
fastboot flash radio <radio file name>.img
- Now type;
- Flash the image with;
fastboot flash -w update <image file name>.zip
- After this, your device may reboot automatically if it does not then, type;
- That’s It!
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you guys were successful in following any of the above methods to flash the latest Android 10 on your Pixel device. For now, the Android 10 update has been rolled out to all the Pixel devices only but, it is expected to arrive in OnePlus and other compatible devices pretty soon. Let us know in the comments if you liked this post and also do let us know any issues you faced while following any of the above-mentioned methods or come across any link failures. Until the next post…Cheers!