If you are looking to update Android Oreo for Idol 3, then here I have list of Android Oreo ROMs and a step-by-step guide on how to install Android Oreo on Idol 3.
The Idol 3 (codename: idol3) was last updated to Android Marshmallow(?) officially.
Almost all Android phone manufacturers provide 2 years of official update and some manufacturers like Xiaomi do support for a longer term for their Android devices but the official updates do come very late.
It is the custom ROM builds that keep the devices alive by providing latest Android updates there after.
This is the primary reason I have brought you here, how to update Idol 3 to Android Oreo via custom ROM.
This post lists all of the Android Oreo ROMs available for Idol 3.
Available Android Oreo Custom ROM for Idol 3:
As of now following are the Android Oreo Custom ROMs available for Idol 3 based on Android 8.0:
Idol 3 Android Oreo ROMs list
|LineageOS 15 Oreo 8.0||LineageOS 15 for Idol 3|
Required Downloads and Links before you Update Android Oreo on Idol 3:
OPTIONAL INSTALLATIONS FOR Idol 3 ANDROID OREO ROM:
Root binary is NOT inbuilt in any custom ROM. So you may need install a SuperSU ROOT package.
– SuperSU rooting guide to enable ROOT access.
How to Install/Update Android 8 Oreo on Idol 3:
- Download the TWRP recovery for Idol 3 from the downloads list.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Idol 3 using fastboot.
- Enter into TWRP recovery mode and Wipe data partition, Cache partition, System partition and clean Dalvik cache.
– Here is a step-by-step guide on how to wipe data using TWRP recovery
– Don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. If you do, you will lose all your phone data.
– To be on safe side, backup all data on your Android Phone before wiping anything.
- Then, download one of the available Android Oreo ROM for Idol 3 and copy the Oreo ROM file to your phone using TWRP MTP mode or sideload.
– Each link provided in this guide has their own step-by-step installation guide.
- Install the Oreo ROM using TWRP recovery.
- Optional but recommended:
– Download Android Oreo GApps, copy that to your phone and then Install Oreo GApps using TWRP
– Well, this step is an optional but if you don’t do you will not be able to install any applications on your Oreo ROM.
– The GApps package provides basic Google Play Services, Play Store application and other Google Applications.
- Reboot your phone and enjoy Android Oreo on Idol 3.
- Optionally, if you want ROOT on the Oreo ROM, then restart yuor phone into TWRP recovery mode and install SuperSU to enable ROOT.
– This step is not necessary to run Android Oreo smoothly but if you want ROOT on the Oreo ROM then you need to follow this step.
If you are facing any issue while following this guide, then you can comment here or you can create a topic on the Idol 3 Forum or on the respective Oreo Custom ROM topics.