This post was last updated on December 2nd, 2019 at 10:46 am
Asus Zenfone 6 is the latest flagship from the Asus smartphone manufacturing company. It has been in the news for a while due to its unique camera design. But, we all know how impressive the camera on the Google Pixel range of smartphone is and in my opinion, the Pixel camera is the best smartphone camera on a mobile phone, period. We have seen so many smartphones getting launched by various powerhouses like Samsung, OnePlus, Sony, Huawei, and now Asus but, no smartphone seems to come close to the camera performance of the Google Pixel device.
Moreover, the Google Pixel smartphone has a single camera lens and does all the brilliant image processing via its powerful software. I love my Pixel 3XL camera and users all around the world often compare any newly launched smartphone’s camera with the Google Pixel 3XL from which, you can understand the fact that how Pixel cameras have set a benchmark. However, developers always finding a way to port one smartphone’s apps and mods for other smartphones, Google Camera Mod came into existence. Developers are now always working for a Google Camera Port for all the other Android Smartphones.
Another smartphone to join this list is the Asus Zenfone 6 and in this article, we will talk about how to download and install Google camera port for the Asus Zenfone 6 device. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the post;
The Asus Zenfone 6 is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset which is paired with either 6GB/8GB of RAM. You also get three storage options for the Asus Zenfone 6 i.e. 64GB/128GB/256GB. In the display department, the device has a 6.4-inch IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, and an aspect ratio of 19.5:9 with 403 PPI density. Under the hood, the device is powered by the huge 5000 mAh battery and the device runs on the latest Android 9 Pie.
The main focal point or the USP of the device lies in the camera department. The device has a flip rotating camera that acts as the main shooter as well as the front selfie camera as well. You get a dual camera setup with 48MP+13MP shooters. The 48MP is the wide-angle camera and the 13MP is the ultrawide camera. Moreover, the device has a protection of Corning Gorilla Glass 6 on the display.
How To Download and Install Google Camera Port for Asus ZenFone 6
Google Camera Port for Asus ZenFone 6 (2019)
I have been using the Google camera port for all my devices that include the Galaxy Note 9, Note 8, and the S10+. Moreover, I have stopped using the stock camera applications on these devices since the time I have installed the Google camera ports for these devices. There are numerous videos by YouTubers and other smartphones users, talking about the brilliant software processing by the Google camera port on the Non-Pixel devices.
Developers have worked hard and they have a Google Camera Port for almost all the devices just missing a few. However, good news for the Asus Zenfone 6 users is that the XDA Developers Senior Member, Arnova8G2, has done a great job in bringing to you the Asus Zenfone 6 Google Camera Port. A big thanks and applaud for the hard work in developing this port to Arnova8G2. Let me share with you one interesting fact that will get you intrigued in using this Google Camera Port on your Asus Zenfone 6 is that, it is the first device that is able to capture the HDR+ enhanced images with its 48MP camera. And for a fact, even the OnePlus 7 Pro’s Google Camera Port is not able to do this.
Fascinating right? So, let us go ahead and download and install the Google Camera Port for your Asus Zenfone 6.
Download Google Camera Port for Asus Zenfone 6
But, before you straightaway download the APK files of Google camera port, please read the important note below;
- The XML files will only work with Google Camera 6.1 ports. Because the ports for GCam 6.2 does not support these configuration files.
- Google Camera 6.2 ports can be used only when you need to take photos via Zenfone 6 (2019) ultra-wide-angle camera. However, if you prefer to use it, you need to root your device.
- Google Camera versions 2.1.190612.1430 and 2.1.190612.0433 are in the beta stage, hence it is recommended to use these GCam ports with the following settings:
(a) Firstly, clean the app’s cache
(b) Next, in the “Settings” >> “Option HDR+”, tweak the settings as mentioned below;
RAW Format = RAW10
Image Format = YUV_420_888
Below are the links to download the different versions of the Google Camera Port for the Asus Zenfone 6 device. You can download and check, which port version is working on your device.
- Google Camera v6.2.030 Port (V2.1beta9.190612.1430):
APK File: Gcam_6.2.030_Advanced_V2.1beta9.190612.1430.apk
- Google Camera v6.2.030 Port (v2.1beta9.190612.0433):
APK File: Gcam_6.2.030_Advanced_V2.1beta9.190612.0433.apk
- Google Camera v6.1.021 Port (Advanced V1.6.190614.0200):
APK file: Gcam_6.1.021_Advanced_V1.6.190614.0200.apk
XML Config file: Zenfone6_default.xml
How To Install Google Camera Port on Asus Zenfone 6
I would advise you to please follow the instructions and steps as mentioned below very carefully as the v6.2.030 Ports (Version 2.1.190612.1430 and 2.1.190612.0433) do not require an XML config file. But, for the v6.1.021 (V1.6.190614.0200) require an XML Config file in order to run correctly.
Instructions for the v6.1.021 Port (Require XML Config file)
- First, download the Google Camera port for Asus Zenfone 6 of your choice (in this case the v6.1.021 Port that requires XML Config file).
- You also need to download the XML config file.
- Then, transfer both the files to your phone’s internal storage.
- Create a new folder named “GCam” at the root or home page of your internal storage.
- Inside this newly created “GCam” folder, you need to create another folder by the name “Configs“.
- Then, move the XML config file to the “Configs” folder.
- Now, go to the folder where you have downloaded the Google Camera port.
- Tap on the APK file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the GCam Port on your Asus Zenfone 6.
- Once you are done with the installation, go to the app drawer and launch the Google Camera app.
- You need to grant it all the required permissions.
- Double-tap on the black area next to the shutter button.
- Then you will get a “Choose configs” dialogue box.
- Finally, tap on the “Restore” button.
- Voila! You are done.
This is it! But, bear in mind that this installation process is for the v6.1.021 port that requires an XML File for its operation.
Instructions for the v6.2.030 Port (Does not Require XML Config file)
The installation for the v6.2.030 port (Version 2.1.190612.1430 and 2.1.190612.0433) is pretty simple. You need to just download the APK from the above-mentioned links and install them as you would do for any application.
Camera Samples from the Google Camera Port for Asus Zenfone 6
Take a look at the sample images from the Google Camera Port on the Asus Zenfone 6. You can comparison images between the stock cam and the Gcam app on the Asus Zenfone 6. Thanks to peterunderwood for sharing these photos.
So, there you have it from my side in this article. Hope you guys liked this post. Please do let us know in the comments section on whether you enjoyed this post or not and also do let s know any issues faced by you while the installation of this camera port for Asus Zenfone 6.