- August 29, 2018 at 1:19 AM #47164shibaa987Participant
TWRP Recovery for Redmi 6A (cactus) is now available to download. this post guides how to download and install TWRP on Redmi 6A and also guides how to ROOT Redmi 6A (using TWRP recovery).
THIS IS AN INITIAL UNOFFICIAL TWRP FOR Redmi 6A. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK
INSTALLING THE TWRP FOR Redmi 6A NEEDS AN UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON Redmi 6A.
DURING THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK PROCESS ALL THE PHONE DATA WILL BE ERASED.
Redmi 6A ROOT MAY BRICK THE PHONE.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF ANDROID ROOT BEFORE YOU PROCEED FURTHER.
Before proceeding further you may consider backup all data on the phone.
You are the only person making changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by you.
INFORMATION OF THIS TWRP FOR Redmi 6A:
– TWRP version: 3.x.x
– Supported Android Version: Android 8.1
– Built from – OmniROM AOSP source
– Custom ROM supported: AOSP or AOSP based Android Oreo 8.1 ROM
DOWNLOAD LINK OF TWRP FOR Redmi 6A, OTHER DOWNLOADS AND REQUIRED GUIDES:
- Redmi 6A Phone, USB cable and a Windows, or Linux or MAC PC with ADB and fastboot installed on it.
- ADB and Fastboot utility.
- Ulocked bootloader on the Redmi 6A
- USB drivers
- TWRP download for Redmi 6A
- Force Encryption disabler download
STEP BY STEP GUIDE OF HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL TWRP FOR Redmi 6A:
- Connect the Redmi 6A to the PC using the USB cable and install required USB driver
- Install ADB and fastboot utility on Windows PC or Linux or MAC as per the PC you have
- Reboot the Redmi 6A into bootloader mode and Unlock bootloader of Redmi 6A
- Then, on your PC, go to the directory where you have downloaded the TWRP for Redmi 6A and then open the command console or terminal on this directory on your PC.
– To open a command window on Windows OS in the current directory, press shift + Right Click anywhere on Windows explorer, or some folder.
– Then on the menu opened, just press the “w” key on the keyboard or select “Open command window here” to open a command window.
- Now connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable, if not connected yet.
- Enter the following command on the opened command window:
adb reboot bootloader
to put your phone into bootloader mode where you can flash/install TWRP for Redmi 6A.
If your phone asks for permission; such as “Allow USB debugging” then just tap on OK to proceed.
- Now when your phone is on the bootloader mode just execute the following command on the console:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img
While executing this command make sure to replace the twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img with the actual filename of the TWRP for Redmi 6A
- Wait for the fastboot command to install the TWRP for Redmi 6A.
Once it is done, execute the below command:
on the command console to restart the phone.
Immediately press the volume up (or the exact key combination) to boot into the recovery mode.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU REBOOT INTO RECOVERY AND DISABLE FORCE ENCRYPTION BEFORE BOOTING INTO SYSTEM OR STARTING THE PHONE. IF NOT DONE THE TWRP MAY BE REPLACED BY STOCK RECOVERY.
- From TWRP, disable encryption and flash the Disable Force Encryption zip file
– Format data partition from TWRP to disable Encryption so that you can use the data partition.
– Then you flash the Disable Force Encryption zip file so that the system will not encrypt it again.
That’s all. You should have the TWRP installed on your Redmi 6A.
You may now want to ROOT Redmi 6A or may want to install some custom ROM or want to explore what else can you do with this TWRP? Head over to the following section to know more.
What to do after you install TWRP for Redmi 6A:
- You can enable Redmi 6A ROOT access
- You can install one of the custom ROMs available for Redmi 6A
- You can install some of the mods available for Redmi 6A
Well, this isn’t it. You can install customized themes, sound mods, Xposed modules etc. after installing the TWRP for Redmi 6A.
TWRP recovery is the gateway to many goodies for your phone.
Now, if you want to ROOT Redmi 6A then below is a step-by-step by guide for the same.
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS OR LINKS FOR Redmi 6A ROOT GUIDE:
Make sure you have already unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP for Redmi 6A
– Well, this is a very important aspect to enable ROOT for Redmi 6A. The SuperSU zip file is developed in a way to be installed via a TWRP recovery or other custom recovery. Stock recovery may not be able install this SuperSU or Magisk ROOT on Redmi 6A.
- Download the latest SuprSU or Magisk ROOT for Redmi 6A or one of the following:
- SuperSU download link:
- Download link to Magisk ROOT zip file
- DM Verity disabler download
- Download link of Magisk ROOT uninstaller (needed if you want to uninstall Magisk)
- The Redmi 6A will not be rooted just by installing the SuperSU APK file on your Android phone.
- SuperSU APK Free or Pro version is just a SuperSU ROOT management application.
- The SuperSU APK Free or Pro app will ONLY work if you have already ROOTED your Android Phone.
Step-by-Step guide on how to ROOT Redmi 6A using SuperSU or Magisk zip file:
- Download and copy the SuperSU or Magisk ROOT file and the no verity encrypt file to Redmi 6A. (I hope you have already downloaded the SuperSU zip file from the above downloads section)
- Now restart the Redmi 6A to boot into TWRP recovery.
- Then, Select the Install from TWRP home screen, then select the SuperSU ROOT zip file from the file browser.
- Flash or install the SuperSU or Magisk zip file for Redmi 6A, by Sliding the Swipe to Confirm Flash on TWRP screen.
Here is a screenshot how to flash the SuperSU ROOT for Redmi 6A via TWRP:
- Wait for TWRP to flash the SuperSU or the Magisk. Once the flashing is done just reboot your device.
- Then flash the no verity encrypt zip file.
- Profit!!! You should now have a Redmi 6A ROOT enabled phone.
How to check if ROOT is enabled on Redmi 6A or NOT?
Install the ROOT checker app from the Play Store and verify if your phone is ROOTED or not.
If you face any problems on this guide to install TWRP for Redmi 6A or to following the Redmi 6A root guide then, you can login and reply here. Either me or some other user on this forum will reply back to your query as soon as possible.Stay tuned or Subscribe to the Redmi 6A (cactus) forum For other Android Custom ROMs, Lineage OS ROMs, and all other device specific topics.
Attachments:December 26, 2018 at 8:30 PM #64483Fuenf HtMember
at first many thanks for your great instructions!
I tried to install TWRP on my Redmi 6A, but unfortunately it does not work.It looks as if the TWRP image would be written without error, but <fastboot reboot recovery> is not recognized, <adb reboot recovery> does not recognize the device, so I can’t boot to TWRP. I tried several other attempts, but it always ends in the stock mode.
I would be very thankful for help.
C: \ adb> adb reboot bootloader
C: \ adb> fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
sending ‘recovery’ (16968 KB) …
writing ‘recovery’ …
finished.total time: 0.983s
C: \ adb> fastboot reboot recovery
usage: fastboot [<option>] <command> …
C: \ adb> adb reboot recovery
error: device not foundFebruary 14, 2019 at 7:43 PM #72761useless :3Member
i had same problemFebruary 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM #72815sibaKeymaster
Okay, I have verified this on my Poco F1 (I don’t have Redmi 6A).
Fastboot does not have a reboot to recovery command available.
You have to manually reboot the phone to recovery from fastboot.
Or alternatively you can reboot from fastboot and then press the Volume up while the phone is booting to enter into recovery mode.
I will update the guide accordingly.April 17, 2019 at 4:15 PM #80194Ola OleParticipant
I follow this tutorial, but if i flash the no_verity file my device stops recognising the SIM card…
Any way i can get TWRP and/or root, without flashing the no_verity fil?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.