- This topic is empty.
May 3, 2020 at 12:23 AM #112457CyanogenMod DevKeymaster
The latest Android 11 for Mi 8, is now available to download and install from Android 11 custom ROM build. This is a step-by-step guide that explains how to install Android 11 on Mi 8.
This build is brought to you by unknown developer.
Donation to Developer(s)
– Donation link not foundDISCLAIMER:
The Mi 8 (codename: dipper) may or may not be updated to Android 11 officially. So, we have brought you several Android 11 custom ROMs that you can install on your Mi 8.
But, you need to understand that, Installing a custom ROM requires little bit of advanced knowledge to modify the underlying firmware on your phone, such as bootloader unlock, custom recovery installation etc.
If not done properly it may leave you phone unusable temporarily or permanently!
Android 11 ROMs for Mi 8
Android 11 for Mi 8 is available from the following custom ROM builds:
- AOSP Android 11 for Mi 8 –
This build will only work for the Mi 8 [Indian Variant] and will also work for Redmi Note 9s. If you try this build in Mi 8 [Global Variant] than it won’t work.
Resources Required to Install Android 11 on Mi 8
Known Issues on this Mi 8 Android 11 ROM
- Tell us in the comment section
How to Update Mi 8 to Android 11?
Installing Android 11 requires an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on the phone. This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader on the phone
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Installing the Android 11 ROM on the phone
Unlock Bootloader on Mi 8
Mi 8 bootloader unlock guide. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Mi 8.The bootloader must be unlocked on the phone before you can flash the Android 11 custom ROM build!
Install custom recovery on Mi 8
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on Mi 8. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on Mi 8.
- TWRP for Mi 8
- OrangeFox for Mi 8
Install Android 11 on Mi 8The phone must have an unlocked bootloader and a compatible custom recovery installed before you can install Android 11.
- Download the Android 11 ROM for Mi 8 and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC if you intend to install using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery and Wipe data, Cache, System and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise you will lose all your phone data!– Here is a step-by-step guide on how to wipe data using TWRP recovery– This step will erase the current firmware from the phone. You can choose to keep a backup of the relevant boot and system partition so that you can rollback if the new build don’t work properly.
- Install Android 11 using TWRP recovery
ADB Sideload the Android 11 ROM zip file.
You can use any one of the above-mentioned methods to install the zip file on the phone.
- Install Android 11 GApps using TWRP
– Basically, The GApps package provides basic Google Play Services, Play Store application and other Google Applications.
- Once done, reboot the phone to boot into Android 11 on Mi 8.
Well, after installing the Android 11 zip file you are done with the Android 11 installation for your phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to unleash the real capabilities of your phone.
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the Android 11 ROM on your Mi 8.– Here is a post explaining how to install GApps using TWRP recovery.
GApps are not part of this Android 11 build. So, you need to install Android 11 GApps to be able to use Google Play Store and other basic Google services.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Search a compatible Google Camera for your phone that may run on this Android 11 ROM.That’s all! If you face any issue, then you can comment below.
Also, visit the Mi 8 (dipper) page to get other Android 11 ROMs, LineageOS 18, or other device specific topics.
? GCam APK | LineageOS
- AOSP Android 11 for Mi 8 –
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.