- This topic is empty.
- May 3, 2020 at 12:23 AM #112457sibaKeymaster
Currently Android 11 is in BETA which is only available for Pixel devices as Developer previews. One such Android 11 for Mi 8 is available to install, which is otherwise a Developer preview ported from Pixel 2.
This is GSI build of Android 11 for Mi 8 which is brought to you by Erfan Abdi (erfanoabdi). If you appreciate his efforts, you may wish to donate to him.
In this posts I am presenting a step-by-step guide on how to install Android 11 on Mi 8.To install this Android 11 you need to have an unlock bootloader on the phone.
Make sure you BACKUP all the data and all the partitions of your phone before installing this ROM.
You are the only person making changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for anything wrong done by you.
Other Android 11 or 10 Downloads for Mi 8
Android 11 is highly unstable at this moment because this is a developer preview build and no proper vendor image is available for Mi 8 that can run the Android 11 very smoothly.
So, if you want to switch back to Android 10 on Mi 8, then below are some of the custom ROMs available:
– LineageOS 17.1 download
– Android 10 download
– Bliss ROM Android 10 download
– RR Android 10 download
Where to Download Android 11 for Mi 8?
- Android 11 DP2 GSI Download for Mi 8
- Modified boot img download
- Latest vendor img download
- TWRP for Mi 8
- Permissiver v4 download
- ADB and Fastboot installed on your Windows PC or Linux or MAC.
– 15 Seconds ADB Installer for Windows
– Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows
– ADB Fastboot for Linux and MAC
Known issues on Mi 8 Android 11– No webview app (and you can’t choose any)
– You have to wait for the “system update” to finish to get sim working (but it’s barely working)
– Many soft reboots
– Crashing systemui
– No NFC
– Many things are not working
How to Install Android 11 on Mi 8?This installation process requires few guides to be followed and few files to be downloaded. Everything referred in the below guide is provided in the above downloads section.
Preparing to Install Android 11 on Mi 8
It is not a straight forward task like installing an APK file on Android. Follow this guide to prepare the phone and make the necessary system setup.
- First, Unlock the bootloader of Mi 8This will delete all the data on your phone. You may consider complete backup of your phone data.
– Backup data on Android
- Then, download and install the latest fastboot utility.Follow the links given in the above downloads section to install and configure Fastboot successfully.
- Download and install the TWRP recovery on Mi 8.TWRP download link for Mi 8 is given above. After downloading TWRP, follow the guide given above that explains how to install TWRP.
Installing Android 11 on Mi 8
By now, you should have an unlocked bootloader and a TWRP installed on your Mi 8 phone. Follow the below steps to install Android 11.
– If you have followed the above steps correctly, then you would be running Android 11 on Mi 8.
- Download and extract the Android 11 GSI file, the modified boot.img file and keep it in your PC.
Download the vendor image zip file and the Permissiver v4 and copy these files to your phone.
- Boot into the bootloader mode and flash the boot.img filePress and hold the Power button + Volume Down button to boot into bootloader or fastboot mode.
Execute the below command to flash the modified boot image:
fastboot flash boot boot-mi-8-android-11.img
- Boot into the TWRP recovery modePress and hold the Power button + Volume Up button to boot into recovery mode.– If you don’t have the TWRP recovery in this mode, then you might have done something wrong while flashing it.
Flash the TWRP again and come back here.
- Wipe system, data, and cache partition from the TWRP recovery.– Here is a guide explaining how to wipe using TWRP recovery.
- ADB sideload the Permissiver v4 and the vendor zip file
just flash using TWRP or any other recovery
- Once the flashing is done, reboot the phone to fastboot mode and connect the phone to the PC, again.
- Flash the Android 11 system image using fastboot command on the PC. Execute the below command on a command prompt or a terminal:
fastboot flash system Pixel-AB-R-20200403-ErfanGSI.img
- Once done reboot the phone normally.
Once installed, Mi 8, you may want to ROOT or in stall GCam on the phone. You may get relevant information regarding this in the below sections.
How to Get GCam for Mi 8 on Android 11?
GCam 7.0 and later versions are compatible with Android 11 ROM in general.
You can always look into the big list of GCam APK download page to get a compatible GCam for your phone.
That’s all on installing Android 11 on Mi 8. If you face any issues while following this guide or unable to flash or the Android 11 is not booting or something like that then, you can always leave a reply to get a response from the users.Stay tuned or Subscribe to the Mi 8 (dipper) forum For other Android Pie, Android Oreo ROMs, Nougat ROMs, or other ROMs and all other device specific topics.
? GCam APK | LineageOS
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.