- October 18, 2018 at 12:44 PM #56422
You can now download and install LineageOS 16 for Mi 8. Here is how to install LineageOS 16 on Mi 8, with a step-by-step guide. This LineageOS 16 build is brought to you by developer chachinito and one more build by TryHardDood.
[h2]DONATION TO DEVELOPER(S)/PROJECT:[/h2]
If you like this ROM then do consider for a contribution to chachinito, TryHardDood and LineageOS project:
– Donate to TryHardDood
– Donate to LineageOS project
– No donation link found for chachinito
THIS IS AN INITIAL BUILD OF LineageOS 16 FOR Mi 8, WHICH MAY HAVE MANY BUGS.
MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ALL DATA OF YOUR PHONE.
FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Installing a custom ROM may require an unlock bootloader on Mi 8, which may VOID your warranty and may delete all your data. Before proceeding further you may consider backup all data on the phone.
You are the only person doing changes to your phone; neither the developer nor I can be held responsible for the mistakes done by you.
[h3]Status of the Mi 8 LineageOS 16 ROM:[/h3]
[h2]REQUIRED GUIDES AND DOWNLOADS TO INSTALL LineageOS 16 ON Mi 8:[/h2]
- TWRP for Mi 8 (dipper) for this LineageOS 16 ROM
- How to install TWRP recovery
- Mi 8 unlock bootloader guide – required to install TWRP recovery
- ROM download link for Mi 8 LineageOS 16 by TryHardDood
- ROM download link for Mi 8 LineageOS 16 by chachinito
- MindTheGApps for LineageOS 16 / GApps for LineageOS 16
- LineageOS 16 Root
[h2]HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL LineageOS 16 ON Mi 8 – Android 9 Pie CUSTOM ROM:[/h2]
Following are the two sub-sections of this Mi 8 LineageOS 16 guide:
- First time installation of LineageOS 16 on Mi 8
- Upgrading LineageOS 16 on Mi 8 from a previous build of LineageOS 16 ROM
[h3]To Install LineageOS 16 on Mi 8 for the first time:[/h3]
Points to NOTE:
- Try to avoid restoring apps backup using Titanium Backup. It may break things up.
- Don’t restore system data using Titanium Backup! It will definitely break the current installation.
- It is also discouraged to Restoring Apps + Data using Titanium Backup.
- Download and Copy the Mi 8 LineageOS 16 ROM and GApps ZIP file to your phone.
- Boot into the TWRP custom Recovery to install this LineageOS 16 on Mi 8.
– Make sure to have a Custom recovery like a TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery.
– If not then download the TWRP recovery from Downloads link and follow the how to install twrp Guide (it’s a generic guide which will work for TWRP as well as any other recovery)
– Installing TWRP recovery requires an unlocked bootloader on Mi 8
- Wipe the data partition (or do a factory reset), Cache partition, Dalvik Cache or ART cache and Format the System partition.
– Here is a guide explaining how to wipe using TWRP recovery.
- First flash the LineageOS 16 for Mi 8
– Here is a post explaining how to install recovery flashable zip file
- Then install the MindTheGapps for LineageOS 16 package.
– Here is a post explaining how to install GApps using TWRP recovery.
- Reboot and Enjoy the Android 9 Pie LineageOS 16 on Mi 8.
[h3]Upgrading from earlier version of LineageOS 16 on Mi 8 (dipper):[/h3]
- Copy the latest ROM zip file of LineageOS 16 for Mi 8, LineageOS 16 GApps and/or Magisk ROOT package to the phone
- Boot into Recovery.- Make sure you have a latest custom Recovery that should be able to flash the LineageOS 16 ROM update.
- Format or wipe the system partition from the custom recovery menu.
- Install the LineageOS 16 for Mi 8.
– Here is a post explaining how to install LineageOS
- Reboot and see you have the GApps and ROOT access or NOT.
– Gapps is built in such a way that it will sustain across ROM updates.
- If you don’t have GApps after upgrading the LineageOS 16 on Mi 8, then flash the GApps.
– Here is a post explaining how to flash GApps using TWRP recovery.
- If you don’t have ROOT after upgrading the LineageOS 16 on Mi 8, then flash the SuperSU or Magisk or the Lineage SU binary.
– Here is a post explaining How to Enable ROOT on LineageOS 16 ROM
- Once everything is done, reboot and Enjoy the LineageOS 16 on Mi 8.
Complete the initial setup and enjoy Android 9 Pie with LineageOS 16 on Mi 8.
After installing LineageOS 16 on Mi 8 you may want to enable ROOT access on your phone and here is how you can do that:
– LineageOS 16 ROOT.
If there is no ROOT access for some reason even after installing the LineageOS SU binary, then you can try SuperSU rooting guide to enable ROOT access.Stay tuned or Subscribe to the Mi 8 (dipper) LineageOS forum For other Android Pie, Android Oreo ROMs, Nougat ROMs, or other ROMs and all other device specific topics.
Attachments:January 29, 2019 at 4:05 PM #70854不纯节课Member
I want to brush this package tomorrow, I hope there are not too many problems. Amount… ask a support mask?January 30, 2019 at 9:06 AM #71366
Just a heads-up before flashing this ROM.
I think Mi 8 has Rollback protection enabled. This may effect if you want to come back to MIUI stock ROM.
Read more here about the Rollback protection on Poco F1
This will only effect if you are coming back to MIUI, keep this in mind.February 20, 2019 at 11:31 PM #73374Stefan Georgiev AndonovParticipant
I think the explanation about Roll-back protection is not full.
Can we roll back if we need the warranty or not?February 21, 2019 at 2:56 PM #73479
I think the explanation about Roll-back protection is not full.
Can we roll back if we need the warranty or not?
Okay, I suggest you to go through the anti rollback protection on xiaomi so that you can understand what does that really mean!
You can always rollback to stock MIUI firmware to claim warranty.
But you need to make sure what is the current anti rollback value on your device using fastboot and what is the rollback index of the MIUI ROM that you are flashing.
You can only flash a MIUI ROM if it’s rollback index is equal to or greater than your device’s current antirollback value.February 24, 2019 at 9:37 AM #73747YaKs77Participant
Three quick questions.
I see that the ROM is dated from last October. After installation, does it receives any nightly or weekly update from the main branch?
Is it stable enough for a daily use? How is the camera behaving?
Is there any plan to officially support Mi8 ?
Thanks!March 4, 2019 at 5:38 PM #74607
There is no update on the build of chachinito since October.
I have added a new build from TryHardDood which was added last month.
I don’t know the status of the new LineageOS ROM build.
Regarding the OFFICIAL update, recently OFFICIAL Lineage OS 16 has been released for many devices, out of which Mi 8 was not one.
I will update that page when official support is added for an Android phone.
You can visit that page frequently to get updates.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.