LeMax 2 TWRP Recovery and Bootloader Unlock Guide

GCam Port | Google Camera APK v9.2 (April 2024) Forums Le Eco Device Forums LeEco Le Max 2 – x2 LeMax 2 TWRP Recovery and Bootloader Unlock Guide

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Linux User
    Participant

You need to have a custom Recovery on your phone if you want to install Custom ROMs. Also you need to have the bootloader unlocked on your device to install a custom recovery. TWRP is such a popular Custom Recovery available for many devices including LeMax 2 which is brought to you by Developer HostZero. This not officially supported by TWRP yet but the developer is going to make it official very soon.

DISCLAIMER:
    Installing custom recovery on your device requires the bootloader to be unlocked and may VOID your warranty and may delete all your data. Before proceeding further you may consider backup of your all data. Understand the fact that you are the only person responsible for everything that you do with you device.

If you blame me for the disaster that happened to your device then I will simply laugh at you.

REQUIRED DOWNLOADS AND LINKS FOR LEMAX 2 TWRP RECOVERY AND BOOTLOADER UNLOCK GUIDE:

You may follow the below link to backup all the data on your android device:
    Step by step guide to take full backup of your phone data

LeMax 2 TWRP recovery and bootloader unlock guide

LEMAX 2 TWRP RECOVERY INSTALLATION AND BOOTLOADER UNLOCK GUIDE – STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL:

The complete process will be split into two parts as following:

1. Unlocking the Bootloader
    2. Installing a custom recovery

Unlocking the Bootloader on LeMax 2:

If you don’t know the key combination to press enter into bootloader mode in LeEco LeMax 2 or if you are a newbie to Android Customization then this process is strongly recommended to Unlock Bootloader on your Android:

1. Download and install the ADB and Fastboot binaries using the above ADB & Fastboot installation guide:
      15 Seconds ADB Installer or Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows
      ADB & Fastboot installation guide for MAC/Linux
    2. Enable USB Debugging under Developer Options on LeEco LeMax 2. Here is How to Enable Developer Options and How to Enable USB Debugging under Developer Options.
    3. Open the command console on your PC. To open a command window in the current directory in Windows, press shift + Right Click anywhere on Windows explorer, or some folder. Then on the menu opened, just press the “w” key on the keyboard or select “Open command window here” to open a command window.
    4. Now connect your Android to the PC using a USB cable.
    5. Enter the following command on the command window opened:
      adb reboot bootloader

to put your Android into bootloader mode where you can flash/install the TWRP recovery.
      If your Android device asks permission such as “Allow USB debugging” then just tap on OK to proceed.

6. Now when your Android is on the bootloader mode just execute the following command on the console:
      fastboot -i 0x2A96 oem unlock

This will Unlock the bootloader and delete all user data present on the phone. Here is a Step by step guide to take full backup of your phone data

7. After executing the above command, confirm Bootloader Unlock on LeMax 2 by pressing Volume Up button on your LeEco LeMax 2.

Unlocking Bootloader Method #2:

If you know how to enter into bootloader mode on your LeEco LeMax 2 by pressing key combinations then follow the below steps to Unlock Bootloader on your Android:

1. Download and install the ADB and Fastboot binaries using the above installer download link for Windows.
    2. Enter into fastboot or bootloader mode by pressing your device specific key combinations on LeMax 2, open a command console on your PC and then execute the following command on the console:
      fastboot oem unlock

This will Unlock the bootloader and delete all user data present on the phone. Here is how to backup android data

3. After executing the above command, confirm Bootloader Unlock on LeMax 2 by pressing Volume Up button on your LeEco LeMax 2.

Congratulation!!! You have now successfully unlocked the Bootloader of you Android and welcome to the developer world where you are yet to experience many more things on Android customization. The very NEXT STEP you may want is to install TWRP recovery on your Android or want to ROOT it.

Installing TWRP recovery on LeMax 2:

1. Download the TWRP custom recovery for LeMax 2 from the above link.
    2. Copy the TWRP recovery into the directory where you have kept the adb and fastboot files on your PC.
    3. Now type the following command to install the custom recovery image onto your LeMax 2:
          $ fastboot flash recovery <recovery_image_file.name>
    4. Place the recovery image name in the <recovery_image_file.name> field.
    5. Reboor your phone from fastboot mode:
          $ fastboot reboot

This will reboot your phone and you will have the TWRP recovery now installed on your LeMax 2. If you face any problem then just login and reply on this topic to get instant help.

Dev Thread

Linux User
    Participant

I have a brand new LeEco Le Max 2 (X820) phone. I wanted to root it. Following the directions here, I managed to install TWRP. Here is where I ran into trouble. I was not able to install the superuser program because I was unable to access the internal storage of the phone (internal storage 0MB). For that reason I was not able to back up the current system. I researched the topic, I found out that if I wipe the internal storage, I would have access it. So I wiped internal storage, but now the phone will no longer boot, it is stuck on boot up logo page. I do not have a back up of the existing system. But I am not attached to it. I am happy to migrate to a new version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux User
    Participant

[quote quote=23897]I am happy to migrate to a new version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [/quote]

Hi @ian_lin
    Here are few custom ROMs for the Le Max 2 that you can try:
    LineageOS 14.1 for Le MAX 2
    CyanogenMod 14.1 for Le MAX 2

Linux User
    Participant

Dear shibaa987:
    Thank you for your reply! I feel so relieved you answered. I am completely new at this. I am terrified that I would do something dumb and make things even worse.
    Since I can no longer boot into android, how do I transfer ROM onto the phone?

Linux User
    Participant

Hi Ian,

Few question(s):
    – Do you have TWRP installed??

If NO then you would need to install the TWRP first on the phone to proceed further.
    If YES, then do the following to get it connected to a PC:
    – Select Mount and Enable MTP (If you see as Disable MTP on the below right side button then no need to do anything)
    – Now connect the phone to a PC (Windows PC is recommended) with a USB cable.
    – Now you will see the device’s storage on PC and you can transfer the required files.

I hope you won’t find any difficulties executing the above. Feels free to Send a message if you want any help. :)

Linux User
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have TWRP installed. That was how I was able to wipe internal storage, resulting in an unbootable phone. I have decided to try LineageOS you recommended. The instructions says to “Wipe data factory reset, Cache partition, Dalvik Cache and Format the System partition.” I am a little concerned with that because wiping internal storage is what got me into trouble in the first place.

Linux User
    Participant

[quote quote=23909]The instructions says to “Wipe data factory reset, Cache partition, Dalvik Cache and Format the System partition.” I am a little concerned with that because wiping internal storage is what got me into trouble in the first place.
    [/quote]

As you have already wiped everything off the phone, you should not be concerned of this anymore.
    Now you just copy the ROM and GApps file to the phone via TWRP MTP mode and then flash the ROM and GApps and then boot the phone.

It’s that simple. If you still get into trouble I am here to help you out. :)

Linux User
    Participant

Thanks, shibaa987! For my education, what can be done with an encrypted phone? Since internal storage is not accessible, there is no way to install a ROM from it. I don’t think push or sideload will work either w/o access to storage. Is the only option available wiping internal storage?

Linux User
    Participant

[quote quote=23932]what can be done with an encrypted phone? Since internal storage is not accessible?
    [/quote]

Ok, if the phone’s data partition is encrypted, then you need to format the data partition. Note that format is different than wiping the partition. I believe after formatting the data partition it should be decrypted.
    Now, you either copy the ROM file to the storage or do a sideload, and it should work.

Please do let me know after doing that !!

Linux User
    Participant

Thanks! That seems to have worked!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.