How to Install TWRP Recovery on Android Using Fastboot

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Linux User
    Participant

Here is a simple Step By Step guide explaining How to Install TWRP Recovery on any Android device using Fastboot. There are many ways by which you can install TWRP on your phone or tablet out of which flashing the TWRP using fastboot is one such method.

If you are a beginner to these things like the TWRP or fastboot then I will tell you in simple words that the fasboot is a utility provided by Google to deal with fastboot ot bootloader mode on an Android device. Android has many partitions as a complete System, such as: Boot partition, Recovery partition, System partition, Cache partition, Userdata partition etc. Basically this fastboot mode is used to update these partitions manually. Here we are going to use fastboot to flash the TWRP Custom Recovery or install a GCam on an Android phone or tablet. Basically TWRP is a customized Android recovery available for many but not all Android devices.

DISCLAIMER:
    Installing TWRP custom recovery may require your Android’s bootloader to be unlocked and may VOID your warranty and may delete all your data. Before proceeding further you may consider backup your all data. You are the only person doing changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by you. Neither the developer nor we can be held responsible for any disaster that happens to your device.

How to Install TWRP using fastboot on Android

REQUIRED LINKS AND DOWNLOADS TO INSTALL TWRP ON ANDROID PHONE OR TABLET USING FASTBOOT:

HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON ANDROID USING FASTBOOT:

1. Download the TWRP recovery image to be installed on your Android. Make sure that the TWRP recovery is meant for your Android device ONLY.
    2. Enable USB Debugging under Developer Options. If you don’t know how to do this then here is How to Enable Developer Options and How to Enable USB Debugging under Developer Options.
    3. Install ADB and Fastboot utility on your PC or MAC. Follow the appropriate guide to install Fastboot according to the OS that you use:
      15 Seconds ADB Installer or Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows
      ADB Fastboot Installation guide for Linux and MAC.
    4. Go to the directory where you have downloaded the TWRP image file and then open the command console or termianl on this directory on your PC. To open a command window on Windows OS in the current directory, press shift + Right Click anywhere on Windows explorer, or some folder. Then on the menu opened, just press the “w” key on the keyboard or select “Open command window here” to open a command window.
    5. Now connect your Android to the PC using a USB cable.
    6. Know if you have a A-only device or an AB device. Execute the following ADB command to know that:
      getprop ro.build.ab_update
      [su_note note_color=”#D7E3F4″ text_color=”#728095″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]If the returned value is true then your phone is an AB device. If it is empty it is an A-only device.[/su_note]
    7. Enter the following command on the command window opened: adb reboot bootloader to put your Android into bootloader mode where you can flash/install the TWRP recovery.
      If your Android device asks permission such as “Allow USB debugging” then just tap on OK to proceed.
    8. If you have an A-only device, then execute the following command on the console:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.x.x-xxx.imgIf you have an AB device, then execute the following command:
      fastboot flash boot twrp-3.0.x.x-xxx.img

If you have a Huawei phone running on an Android version > 8.0 (Oreo or later) then use the below command:
      fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-3.0.x.x-xxx.img

While executing this command make sure to replace the twrp-3.0.x.x-xxx.img with the actual file name of the TWRP that you have downloaded for your Android phone.

9. Wait for the TWRP to be flashed. Once it is done execute the following command: fastboot reboot on the command console and VOILA, your Android is now installed with TWRP recovery.

After executing all above steps in order, your Android will have the TWRP installed. If you want some more TWRP guides, like: how to wipe data or other partitions using TWRP or how to take backup using TWRP then the following links will help you:
    How to wipe Android partitions using TWRP
    How to take NANDROID backup using TWRP

If you have any concerns while installing TWRP on your Android then just login and reply back on this thread to get instant help.

Linux User
    Participant

I cant find the TWRP image for SAmsung Galaxy S dous 2

Linux User
    Participant

Hello Areen, Can you try the TWRP link provided in the following link for S DUOS 2: Galaxy S DUOS 2 CM14.1 (CyanogenMod 14.1)

Linux User
    Participant

My phone is stuck at downloading mode
    “downloading do not turn off target” any help?

Linux User
    Participant

My phone is stuck at downloading do not turn off target.
    Helpp

Linux User
    Participant

Hi Luka, can you just tell in which phone you are trying to flash what, so that I can help you more to solve your problem. :)

Linux User
    Participant

I stuck at step 7. My s4 is not downloading anything.
    I’m trying to flash twrp-3.0.2-0-jfltexx.img

Linux User
    Participant

Hi blukiix, is the bootloader unlocked on your Galaxy S4 ?? If it is not bootloader unlocked then this guide will not work for you.

Please download the twrp-3.0.2-0-jfltexx.img.tar file from https://dl.twrp.me/jfltexx/ and follow the below guide:
    Flash TWRP using ODIN for Samsung phones

The ODIN flashing guide only works for .tar or .tar.md5 files.
    To flash .img file on a Samsung phone or any phone, the bootloader must be unlocked on the phone.

Linux User
    Participant

it is very usefull…….

Linux User
    Participant

Hello
    I have a problem….
    Io Have a tablet nordvision….
    Is blocked a Bootloop nordvision a start…
    I try a recovery with fastboot….
    But nothing… Please help me
    I try anything….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.