- April 26, 2018 at 4:29 PM #33284
If you are looking to unlock your Mediatek device’s bootloader then Here I have brought you a step by step guide on how to unlock bootloader on Mediatek device. Bootloader unlock on Mediatek device will open up a whole new world of possibilities for the device such as custom ROM, custom recovery, mods etc.
YOUR WARRANTY MAY BE VOID IF YOU ARE GOING TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON MEDIATEK CHIPSET DEVICE.
YOUR PHONE DATA MIGHT BE DELETED DURING THIS PROCESS, SO MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON YOUR MEDIATEK PHONE.
I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IN ANYWAY FOR THE MISTAKES DONE BY YOU.
Why to Unlock Bootloader on the Mediatek Device
Most of the Android phone manufacturers now a days lock the bootloader, so as to prevent modification of the stock firmware or software that is installed on the Android phone regardless of Mediatek chipset based or other.
A bootloader is a software code that runs when an Android phone is powered up, whose job is to load the boot image then rest of the software will be loaded by the boot image.
So, when you are powering up the phone or entering into recovery mode, there is a boot kernel that is loaded by the bootloader to memory to execute. The bootloader is locked to make sure the bootable image always remains the same and cannot be altered.
To be able to alter or modify the bootable image to be loaded by the bootloader, you need to unlock the bootloader.
What you can do after Unlocking Bootloader on Mediatek phone
Well, after unlocking the bootloader, you are free to flash or install any bootable image you want to.
But still it is not easy. You cannot just install anything into it.
Every Android phone has a recovery mode which is usually used to recover the Android phone if the phone software has gone bad or to reset phone to factory mode etc.
To be able to alter the stock Android software or to install any other Android Custom ROM to your Mediatek phone you need to first install a custom recovery image.
TWRP is a popular custom recovery available for many or almost all Android phones out there.
After installing the TWRP recovery to your Mediatek phone you can ROOT your phone, install LineageOS, or any other custom ROM or you can install mods, etc.
Now, How to Unlock Bootloader on any Mediatek Device
I believe you are clear why we need to unlock bootloader on Mediatek phone or any Android phone. If not, you can always reply to this thread if you have any doubt on this.
Before you unlock bootloader on your Mediatek Device, make sure you have the following:
Step by Step guide to Unlock bootloader on Mediatek Phone:
Many Mediatek phones are already bootloader unlocked. Which means you don’t need to unlock bootloader on your Mediatek Phone at all.
Before following the below steps to unlock bootloader on your Mediatek phone, check if you already have an unlocked bootloader
How to check if bootloader is unlocked or not
If you see your device’s bootloader is locked then you can follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader on any Mediatek Phone:
Make sure you have already installed ADB and fastboot utilities on your PC.
You have installed USB drivers for your Mediatek phone.
- Download and install the ADB and Fastboot binaries using the above installer download link for Windows or Linux or MAC.
- Enable USB Debugging under Developer Options, to make the device accessible via ADB.
- Open the command console on your PC. To open a command window in the current directory in Windows, press shift + Right Click anywhere on Windows explorer, or some folder.
– Then on the menu opened, just press the “w” key on the keyboard or select “Open command window here” to open a command window.
- Now connect your Android to the PC using a USB cable.
- Enter the following command on the command window:
adb reboot bootloaderto put your Android into bootloader mode where you can unlock the bootloader
– If your Android device asks permission such as “Allow USB debugging” then just tap on OK to proceed.
- Execute the following fastboot command from the bootloader mode to know the bootloader unlock status:
– If you see a device Id in the output then your phone is accessible via fastboot.
– If not check if you have proper drivers installed or not.
– you may uninstall and re-install the USB drivers for your device and try again.
- Then execute the following fastboot command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
Sometimes, you cannot unlock bootloader on Mediatek device by following this guide, if the OEM has some other way to unlock bootloader. Such as a Motorola device. To unlock a Motorola phone’s bootloader you need an unlock code which needs to be given to the fastboot oem unlock command.
To unlock a Mediatek based Motorola device’s bootloader you need to follow how to unlock bootloader on Motorola phone.
How to check if Bootloader is unlocked on your Mediatek device or not
Check bootloader unlock status using dialer app method:
Check bootloader unlock status using fastboot method:
If you are having trouble following this guide, then login and reply here. I will address all your queries as far as possible.
Attachments:December 21, 2018 at 8:46 PM #64032
Hi, I’ve got an issue with my bootloader, which seems to sit at showing “Fastboost mode =>” only.
If I write anything into CMD, such as fastboot oem device-info, It just shows “…” forever on. Seems to happen after writing any line with OEM in it.
What am I doing wrong?February 19, 2019 at 6:19 AM #73046
sibaKeymasterMarch 14, 2019 at 7:15 PM #75485
Nothing of this works on BLU Energy X 2.
Do you know a reliable way to unlock its bootloader?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.