- June 9, 2018 at 2:23 PM #38557shibaa987Moderator
TWRP for Moto X4 (payton) is now available from an unofficial build and this post guides you how to install TWRP for Moto X4 and ROOT Moto X4 (using TWRP recovery).
The TWRP download for Moto X4 is brought to you by developer(s) erfanoabdiDISCLAIMER:
THIS IS AN INITIAL UNOFFICIALLY BUILD TWRP FOR Moto X4. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.
INSTALLING THE TWRP FOR Moto X4 NEEDS AN UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON Moto X4.
DURING THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK PROCESS ALL THE PHONE DATA WILL BE ERASED.
ROOTING Moto X4 MAY BRICK THE PHONE.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF ROOTING BEFORE YOU PROCEED FURTHER.
Before proceeding further you may consider backup all data on the phone.
You are the only person making changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by you.
DOWNLOAD LINK OF TWRP FOR Moto X4, OTHER DOWNLOADS AND REQUIRED GUIDES:
- Connect the Moto X4 to the PC using the USB cable and install required USB driver
- Install 15 Seconds ADB Installer or Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows or Linux or MAC as per the PC you have
- Unlock bootloader of Moto X4
- Then, on your PC, go to the directory where you have downloaded the TWRP for Moto X4 and then open the command console or terminal on this directory on your PC.
– To open a command window on Windows OS in the current directory, press shift + Right Click anywhere on Windows explorer, or some folder. Then on the menu opened, just press the “w” key on the keyboard or select “Open command window here” to open a command window.
- Now connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable, if not connected yet.
- Enter the following command on the opened command window:
adb reboot bootloader
to put your phone into bootloader mode where you can flash/install TWRP for Moto X4.
If your phone asks for permission; such as “Allow USB debugging” then just tap on OK to proceed.
- Now when your phone is on the bootloader mode just execute the following command on the console:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img
While executing this command make sure to replace the twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img with the actual filename of the TWRP for Moto X4
- Wait for the fastboot command to install the TWRP for Moto X4.
Once it is done, execute the below command:
fastboot reboot recovery
on the command console to start the phone in TWRP recovery mode.
That’s all. You should have the TWRP installed on your Moto X4. You may now want to ROOT Moto X4 or may want to install some custom ROM or want to explore what else can you do with this TWRP? Head over to the following section to know more.
What to do after you install TWRP for Moto X4:
- You can enable Moto X4 ROOT access
- You can install one of the custom ROMs available for Moto X4
– Lineage OS 15.1 for Moto X4
- You can install some of the mods available for Moto X4
Well, this isn’t it. You can install customized themes, sound mods, Xposed modules etc. after installing the TWRP for Moto X4.
TWRP recovery is the gateway to many goodies for your phone.
Now, if you want to ROOT Moto X4 then below is a step-by-step by guide for the same.
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS OR LINKS FOR ROOTING Moto X4:IMPORTANT NOTE:
- The Moto X4 will not be rooted just by installing the SuperSU APK file on your Android phone.
- SuperSU APK Free or Pro version is just a SuperSU ROOT management application.
- The SuperSU APK Free or Pro app will ONLY work if you have already ROOTED your Android Phone.
- Download and copy the SuperSU or Magisk ROOT file to Moto X4. (I hope you have already downloaded the SuperSU zip file from the above downloads section)
- Now restart the Moto X4 to boot into TWRP recovery.
- Then, Select the Install from TWRP home screen, then select the SuperSU ROOT zip file from the file browser.
- Flash or install the SuperSU or Magisk zip file for Moto X4, by Sliding the Swipe to Confirm Flash on TWRP screen.
- Wait for TWRP to flash the SuperSU or the Magisk. Once the flashing is done just reboot your device.
- Profit!!! You should now have a Moto X4 ROOT enabled phone.
How to check if ROOT is enabled on Moto X4 or NOT?
Install the ROOT checker app from the Play Store and verify if your phone is ROOTED or not.
Here is a screenshot how to flash the SuperSU ROOT for Moto X4 via TWRP:
If you face any problems on this guide to install TWRP for Moto X4 or to following the Moto X4 rooting guide then, you can login and reply here. Either me or some other user on this forum will rpayton back to your query as soon as possible.
? Google Camera APK | LineageOSSeptember 17, 2018 at 11:59 PM #51379sammyMember
I followed the steps above, but doing
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-1-payton.img
Sending 'recovery' (26556 KB) OKAY [ 0.839s] Writing 'recovery' (bootloader) Invalid partition name recovery FAILED (remote: '') Finished. Total time: 0.840s
How can I solve this issue?
Never mind, I did
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-1-payton.img
instead to get into recovery mode.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.