- August 22, 2018 at 2:00 PM #45441
TWRP for Moto E5 Play (james) is now available to download from an unofficial build. This post guides how to install TWRP on Moto E5 Play and ROOT Moto E5 Play (using TWRP recovery).
The TWRP download for Moto E5 Play is brought to you by developer(s) codyf86
THIS IS AN INITIAL UNOFFICIALLY BUILD TWRP FOR Moto E5 Play. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP EVERYTHING.
INSTALLING TWRP RECOVERY REQUIRES AN UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON Moto E5 Play.
DURING THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK PROCESS ALL THE PHONE DATA WILL BE ERASED.
ROOTING Moto E5 Play MAY BRICK THE PHONE.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF ROOTING BEFORE YOU PROCEED FURTHER.
Before proceeding further you may consider backup all data on the phone.
You are the only person making changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by you.
DOWNLOAD LINK OF TWRP FOR Moto E5 Play, OTHER DOWNLOADS AND REQUIRED GUIDES:
- Moto E5 Play Phone, USB cable and a Windows, or Linux or MAC PC with ADB and fastboot installed.
- ADB and Fastboot utility. below are the download links and guides to install:
- Ulocked bootloader on the Moto E5 Play
– Here is how to unlock bootloader on Moto E5 Play
- Motorola USB drivers
- TWRP recovery for Moto E5 Play
STEP BY STEP GUIDE OF HOW TO INSTALL TWRP FOR Moto E5 Play:
- Connect the Moto E5 Play to the PC using the USB cable and install required USB driver
- Install ADB and fastboot on Windows or Linux or MAC as per the PC you have
- Unlock bootloader of Moto E5 Play
- Download the Moto E5 Play TWRP recovery to an easily accessible folder.
- Then, on your PC, go to the folder where you have downloaded the TWRP for Moto E5 Play and then open the command console or a terminal on this directory on your PC.
– To open a command window on Windows OS in the current directory, press shift + Right Click anywhere on Windows explorer, or some folder.
– Then on the menu opened, just press the “w” key on the keyboard or select “Open command window here” to open a command window.
- Now connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable, if not connected yet.
- Start the phone in bootloader mode.
– Enter the following command on the opened command window:
adb reboot bootloader
to put your phone into bootloader mode where you can flash/install TWRP for Moto E5 Play.
– If your phone asks for permission; such as “Allow USB debugging” then just tap on OK to proceed.
- Now when your phone is on the bootloader mode just execute the following command on the console:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img
– While executing this command make sure to replace the twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img with the actual filename of the TWRP for Moto E5 Play
- Wait for the fastboot command to install the TWRP for Moto E5 Play.
Once it is done, execute the below command:
fastboot reboot recovery
on the command console to start the phone in TWRP recovery mode.
That’s all. You should now have installed the TWRP recovery on Moto E5 Play.
You may now want to ROOT Moto E5 Play or may want to install some custom ROM or want to explore what else can you do with this TWRP? Head over to the following section to know more.
What to do after you install TWRP on Moto E5 Play:
- You can enable How to root Moto E5 Play
- You can install one of the custom ROMs available for Moto E5 Play
- You can install some of the mods available for Moto E5 Play
Well, this isn’t it. You can install customized themes, sound mods, Xposed modules etc. after installing the TWRP for Moto E5 Play.
TWRP recovery is the gateway to many goodies for your phone.
Now, if you want to ROOT Moto E5 Play then below is a step-by-step by guide for the same.
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS OR LINKS FOR ROOTING Moto E5 Play:
Make sure you have already installed TWRP on Moto E5 Play and hence I believe unlocked the bootloader.
– Well, this is a very important aspect to enable ROOT access on Moto E5 Play.
– The SuperSU zip file is developed in a way to be installed via a TWRP recovery or other custom recovery. Stock recovery may not be able install this SuperSU or Magisk ROOT on Moto E5 Play.
– And there are the no-verity kernel and fstab.qcom.zip file which needs unlocked bootloader and a TWRP recovery respectively.
- Download the latest SuprSU ROOT for Moto E5 Play or one of the following:
- DM-verity disabled kernel
- fstab.qcom zip file download
- The Moto E5 Play will not be rooted just by installing the SuperSU APK file on your Android phone.
- SuperSU APK Free or Pro version is just a SuperSU ROOT management application.
- The SuperSU APK Free or Pro app will ONLY work if you have already ROOTED your Android Phone.
- Download, extract the fstab.qcom.zip and copy the fstab.qcom file, copy the SuperSU or Magisk ROOT zip file to Moto E5 Play.
The required files can be downloaded from the above downloads section
- Now start the Moto E5 Play into bootloader mode and flash the no-verity kernel
Execute the following command to flash the kernel:
fastboot flash boot boot-e5-noverity.img
- Next restart the Moto E5 Play to boot into TWRP recovery.
- In the TWRP, mount the Vendor partition and copy the fstab.qcom file.
From TWRP enable ADB mode and push the file:
adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
- After that format the data partition.
Format data partition is different than wiping data partition.
Make sure you do format data partition here.
- Then, Select the Install from TWRP home screen, then select the Magisk zip file or select the SuperSU ROOT zip file from the file browser.
- Flash or install the SuperSU or Magisk zip file, by Sliding the Swipe to Confirm Flash on TWRP screen.
- Wait for TWRP to flash the SuperSU or the Magisk. Once the flashing is done just reboot your device.
- Profit!!! You should now have a Moto E5 Play ROOT enabled phone.
How to check if ROOT is enabled on Moto E5 Play or NOT?
Install the ROOT checker app from the Play Store and verify if your phone is ROOTED or not.
Here is a screenshot how to flash the SuperSU ROOT for Moto E5 Play via TWRP:
If you face any problems on this guide to install TWRP for Moto E5 Play or to following the Moto E5 Play rooting guide then, you can login and reply here. Either me or some other user on this forum will rjames back to your query as soon as possible.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.