- March 4, 2019 at 6:53 AM #74503sibaKeymaster
TWRP download for Mi 9 (cepheus) is now available from an unofficial build. This post guides you how to install TWRP on Mi 9 and also guides how to ROOT Mi 9 (using TWRP recovery).
After installing TWRP recovery on Mi 9 you can install many android mods such as google camera (gcam) APK, enable navigation gesture, enable face unlock, viper4android audio enhancement etc. and many more.
The TWRP recovery for Mi 9 is brought to you by developer(s) Mauronofrio.
DONATION TO DEVELOPER(S) AND PROJECT:
THIS IS AN INITIAL UNOFFICIAL TWRP FOR Mi 9. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK
INSTALLING THE TWRP FOR Mi 9 NEEDS AN UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON Mi 9.
DURING THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK PROCESS ALL THE PHONE DATA WILL BE ERASED.
You are the only person making changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by you.
INFORMATION OF THIS TWRP FOR Mi 9:
– TWRP version: 3.x.x
– Supported Android Version: Android 9
– Built from – OmniROM AOSP source
– Custom ROM supported: AOSP or AOSP based Android Pie 9.0 ROM
DOWNLOAD LINK OF TWRP FOR Mi 9, OTHER DOWNLOADS AND REQUIRED GUIDES:
- Mi 9 Phone, USB cable and a Windows, or Linux or MAC PC with ADB and fastboot installed on it.
- ADB and Fastboot utility.
Below are the download links and guides to install:
– 15 Seconds ADB Installer for Windows
– Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows
– How to install ADB and fastboot on Linux
– How to install ADB and fastboot on MAC
- Ulocked bootloader on the Mi 9
- USB drivers
- TWRP download for Mi 9
- TWRP download for Mi 9 LineageOS 17 ROM
- Force Encryption disabler download
STEP BY STEP GUIDE OF HOW TO INSTALL TWRP ON Mi 9:
- Connect the Mi 9 to the PC using the USB cable and install required USB driver
- Install 15 Seconds ADB Installer or Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows or Linux or MAC as per the PC you have
- Reboot the Mi 9 into bootloader mode and Unlock bootloader of Mi 9
- Then, on your PC, go to the directory where you have downloaded the TWRP for Mi 9 and then open the command console or terminal on this directory on your PC.
– To open a command window on Windows OS in the current directory, press shift + Right Click anywhere on Windows explorer, or some folder.
– Then on the menu opened, just press the “w” key on the keyboard or select “Open command window here” to open a command window.
- Now connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable, if not connected yet.
- Enter the following command on the opened command window:
adb reboot bootloader
to put your phone into bootloader mode where you can flash/install TWRP for Mi 9.
If your phone asks for permission; such as “Allow USB debugging” then just tap on OK to proceed.
- Now when your phone is on the bootloader mode just execute the following command on the console:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img
While executing this command make sure to replace the twrp-3.2.x.x-xxx.img with the actual filename of the TWRP for Mi 9
- Wait for the fastboot command to install the TWRP for Mi 9.
Once it is done, execute the below command:
when the phone is booting press and hold the volume + button to enter into TWRP recovery.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU REBOOT INTO RECOVERY AND DISABLE FORCE ENCRYPTION BEFORE BOOTING INTO SYSTEM OR STARTING THE PHONE. IF NOT DONE THE TWRP WILL BE REPLACED BY STOCK RECOVERY.
- From TWRP, disable encryption and flash the Disable Force Encryption zip file
– Format data partition from TWRP to disable Encryption to be able to use the data partition.
– Then you flash the Disable Force Encryption zip file so that the system will not encrypt it again.
That’s all. You should have the TWRP installed on your Mi 9.
You may now want to ROOT Mi 9 or may want to install some custom ROM or want to explore what else can you do with this TWRP? Head over to the following section to know more.
What to do after you install TWRP recovery on Mi 9:
- You can enable Mi 9 ROOT access
- You can install one of the custom ROMs available for Mi 9
- You can install some of the mods available for Mi 9
Well, this isn’t it. You can install customized themes, sound mods, Xposed modules etc. after installing the TWRP for Mi 9.
TWRP recovery is the gateway to many goodies for your phone.
Now, if you want to ROOT Mi 9 then below is a step-by-step by guide for the same.
ROOTING Mi 9 MAY BRICK THE PHONE.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF ANDROID ROOT BEFORE YOU PROCEED FURTHER.
Before proceeding further you may consider backup all data on the phone.
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS OR LINKS FOR Mi 9 ROOT GUIDE:
Make sure you have already unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP for Mi 9
– Well, this is a very important aspect to enable ROOT for Mi 9. The SuperSU zip file is developed in a way to be installed via a TWRP recovery or other custom recovery. Stock recovery may not be able install this SuperSU or Magisk ROOT on Mi 9.
- Download the latest SuprSU or Magisk ROOT for Mi 9 or one of the following:
- SuperSU download link:
- Download link to Magisk ROOT zip file
- DM Verity disabler download
- The Mi 9 will not be rooted just by installing the SuperSU APK file on your Android phone.
- SuperSU APK Free or Pro version is just a SuperSU ROOT management application.
- The SuperSU APK Free or Pro app will ONLY work if you have already ROOTED your Android Phone.
Step by Step guide on how to ROOT Mi 9 using SuperSU or Magisk zip file:
- Download and copy the SuperSU or Magisk ROOT file and the no verity encrypt file to Mi 9. (I hope you have already downloaded the SuperSU zip file from the above downloads section)
- Now restart the Mi 9 to boot into TWRP recovery.
- Then, Select the Install from TWRP home screen, then select the SuperSU ROOT zip file from the file browser.
- Flash or install the SuperSU or Magisk zip file for Mi 9, by Sliding the Swipe to Confirm Flash on TWRP screen.
Here is a screenshot how to flash the SuperSU ROOT for Mi 9 via TWRP:
- Wait for TWRP to flash the SuperSU or the Magisk. Once the flashing is done just reboot your device.
- Then flash the no verity encrypt zip file.
- Profit!!! You should now have a Mi 9 ROOT enabled phone.
How to check if ROOT is enabled on Mi 9 or NOT?
Install the ROOT checker app from the Play Store and verify if your phone is ROOTED or not.
If you face any problems on this guide to install TWRP for Mi 9 or to following the Mi 9 root guide then, you can login and reply here. Either me or some other user on this forum will reply back to your query as soon as possible.Stay tuned or Subscribe to the Mi 9 (cepheus) forum For other Android Custom ROMs, Lineage OS ROMs, and all other device specific topics.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.