How to Install Lineage OS on Any Phone

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Linux User
    Participant

This post will guide you How to Install Lineage OS on an Android phone or Tablet by using TWRP or any other custom Recovery. Here I will be sharing all the necessary steps, download links or files to install a Lineage OS On any Android device using a TWRP recovery.

How to Install Lineage OS on Android

WHAT IS LINEAGE OS?

Lineage OS is a custom Android Firmware and is a continuation work of CyanogenMod (meaning, Lineage OS is CyanogenMod from inside out). Many OEM manufactured devices usually come with AOSP (The Android Open Source Project) Android ROMs. This not always true. OEMs like: Samsung which has TouchWiz UI, HTC which has Sense UI, Xiaomi which has MIUI etc. The AOSP is the vanilla version of Android which is released to each OEM where they integrate their own changes or features or basically called as customizations on top of the Vanilla Android and customizes the actual AOSP ROM. CyanogenMod was the biggest Custom ROM and so the Lineage OS is, which is developed by the Developer Community (thousands of developers across the globe). Basically Lineage OS can give your phone the latest Android available till date (provided, some developer ports it for your device).

In addition to the latest Android update, Lineage OS gives you many added features which the OEM’s stock ROMs does not have and sometimes even Google’s AOSP also lacks those features. For example: The dictionary feature on Android came around 4.3 (I don’t remember exactly when) but I had been using the same feature in CyanogenMod since Android 2.3. Just imagine how much the CyanogenMod custom ROM is ahead of even Google in terms of feature packing.

DOWNLOADS AND REFERENCE LINKS FOR THIS LINEAGE OS INSTALL GUIDE:

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGE OS ON ANY ANDROID PHONE:

Step By Step Guide.

1. Download and copy the Lineage OS ROM to your phone.
    2. Now Boot your Android device into TWRP recovery (make sure you have installed a TWRP or any other custom recovery on your phone prior to this)

You may power off and press the appropriate key combination for your phone to boot into recovery mode.
      Also you can execute the following command on a Command Console or a terminal:

$ adb reboot recovery

– this command requires ADB binaries to be installed on your PC
      – USB drivers for your phone
      USB debugging must be enabled on your phone

3. Then Just Select Install from TWRP home screen, then navigate to the directory where you have kept the Custom ROM zip file and then select the Lineage OS ROM file and slide the Swipe to Confirm Flash on TWRP screen to start the Lineage OS installation on your phone.
    4. Wait for TWRP to flash the Lineage OS completely. Once the flashing is done, you may reboot your device.
      – before rebooting the device you may have to install the Lineage OS GApps on top of the Lineage OS ROM
    5. Profit!!! Your Android device will have the Lineage OS ROM installed. ENJOY.

If you have any concerns or any difficulties on this guide then feel free to place a reply on this thread to get instant help.

Linux User
    Participant

Hi, I have a problem when I trying to install lineage OS 14.1 on my Lenovo K4 NOTE.
    when I trying to install on TWRP, I have a problem Updater Error 7.
    Can you help me??

Linux User
    Participant

Hello,

Same here, with my Asus Zenfone 2 ZOOA

Linux User
    Participant

[quote quote=19054]Hi, I have a problem when I trying to install lineage OS 14.1 on my Lenovo K4 NOTE.
    when I trying to install on TWRP, I have a problem Updater Error 7.
    Can you help me??
    [/quote]

Can you tell me which version of TWRP are you using on your phone?
    Are you using the TWRP recovery linked in the Vibe K4 NOTE LineageOS 14.1 page??

Linux User
    Participant

Same problem here.

I am installing in an Asus Zenfone 2 Deluxe ZE551ML Z00A

I am using TWRP 3.0.2-0 (twrp-3.0.2-0-Z00A.img)
    I tried twrp-3.1.1-0-Z00A.img but it doesn’t work, phone just don’t enter recover, it stays trapped in white splashscreen.

I tried lineage-14.1-20170811-nightly-Z00A-signed.zip and lineage-14.1-20170818-nightly-Z00A-signed.zip
    Both end with error:

This package supports Ifwi Versions : %s; 0094.0183;
    this device has Ifwi version .
    Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
    Error installing zip file '/external_sd/lineage-14.1-20170818-nightly-Z00A-signed.zip'
    Updating partition details...
    ...done

In my bootloader screen it says that IFWI version is 0094.0173 does that mean it is not supported?

Any ideas? Thx

Linux User
    Participant

Well, I found the solution to my problem.

I needed to update IFWI to Android 6 version (IFWI 94.183) and TWRP to a version that obtains the correct value.
    I found relevant info in these places:
    About IFWI:
    https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-79657-1-1.html
    About updating IFWI – Bootloader:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/5rf4td/cannot_install_lineage_on_zenfone_2_z00ad_no_ifwi/
    I downloaded the tools from:
    http://theflamingskull.com/downloads/z00a/MM_BL_STUFF/M_BL_upgrade_for_zf2_551ml_6.0.zip
    Unzip and follow instructions. It updates the bootloader succesfully.
    Now install works with no problem, altough phone shows an error booting, it says phone is not verified or something like this, but it works ok.

I suggest you to try that @FJKiko

I believe I shall state the process I followed, for anyone facing problems with the zenfone2:
    Originally I had Android 6 official release on my phone, latest update, but it doesn’t allow modifying partitions or unlock bootloader (I believe those ‘functionalities’ were patched).

I bricked my phone in bootloader loop trying to unlock it. I managed to restore phone to Android 5 version following:
    https://www.asus.com/zentalk/in/thread-71656-1-1.html
    Didn’t manage to restore RAW system because partitions cannot be writen with Android 6 bootloader
    I executed section B then, that is flashing recovery, fastboot and boot.
    At that point my phone showed nothing on screen (I almost wet my pants at this part). But I could see it in PC with ADB (command: adb devices in PC terminal).
    Once it was flashed (fastboot, recovery and boot as I said) I restored RAW system, and voila!! Phone reboots in Android 5.

So, resuming, the process for me on the Zenfone 2 was:
    Downgrade from Android 6 to Android 5
    Update Android 5
    Unlock Bootloader
    Install TWRP
    Upgrade IFWI-TWRP
    Install LineageOS

Thanks to the authors of the posts I followed and mentioned here

Linux User
    Participant

[quote quote=24407]Same problem here.

I am installing in an Asus Zenfone 2 Deluxe ZE551ML Z00A

I am using TWRP 3.0.2-0 (twrp-3.0.2-0-Z00A.img)
    I tried twrp-3.1.1-0-Z00A.img but it doesn’t work, phone just don’t enter recover, it stays trapped in white splashscreen.

I tried lineage-14.1-20170811-nightly-Z00A-signed.zip and lineage-14.1-20170818-nightly-Z00A-signed.zip
    Both end with error:

This package supports Ifwi Versions : %s; 0094.0183;
    this device has Ifwi version .
    Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
    Error installing zip file '/external_sd/lineage-14.1-20170818-nightly-Z00A-signed.zip'
    Updating partition details...
    ...done

In my bootloader screen it says that IFWI version is 0094.0173 does that mean it is not supported?

Any ideas? Thx

[/quote]

You need to have the following TWRP file: http://theflamingskull.com/downloads/z00a/MM_BL_STUFF/TWRP-3.0.2-M1-Z00A.img
    and you need to be on Android MarshMallow bootloader.

How to upgrade the ASUS Zenfone 2 Z00A to the Marshmallow bootloader:

Bootloader Upgrade for ZenFone 2 x86 (Android 6.0)

Scripting Credit goes to:
    – shakalaca @ 23pin (http://23pin.logdown.com/)
    – social-design-concepts @ xda (http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4821597)
    – sorg @ xda (http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=334644)

Modified for bootloader upgrade by:
    – jrior001

Linux User
    Participant

I put the lineage zip in root of memory, but twrp says it can’t find it. Any suggestions?

Linux User
    Participant

Which phone are you using??

If the phone has a microSD card slot then most likely the TWRP expects the ROM file in the external card.

If it does not have a microSD card slot, then you are making some mistake while browsing the phone.

Linux User
    Participant

I installed the Lineage OS 14.1 for HTC One M8, Nougat 7.1 ROM and I work very well, I am happy with its operation. But 3G does not work, is that in Cuba the best there is is 3G. My HTC one M8 is from AT & T and 3G in Cuba is around 900Mhz. Can somebody help me??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.