June 7, 2019 at 4:13 PM #91493sibaKeymaster
TWRP for Elephone U is now available to download from TWRP builder as an unofficial build and this post guides you how to install TWRP on Elephone U and ROOT Elephone U (using TWRP recovery).
After installing TWRP recovery on Elephone U you can install many android mods such as google camera (gcam) apk, enable navigation gesture, enable face unlock, viper4android audio enhancement etc. and many more.DISCLAIMER:
THIS IS AN UNOFFICIALLY BUILD TWRP FOR Elephone U. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.
INSTALLING THE TWRP RECOVERY AND ROOT Elephone U NEEDS AN UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON YOUR PHONE.
DURING THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK PROCESS ALL THE PHONE DATA WILL BE ERASED. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP EVERYTHING.
DOWNLOAD LINK OF TWRP FOR Elephone U, OTHER DOWNLOADS AND REQUIRED GUIDES:
- Unlock bootloader on Elephone U
- TWRP recovery download for Elephone U
- Force Encryption disabler download
- USB drivers for Mediatek
- ADB and Fastboot download
– 15 Seconds ADB Installer for Windows
– Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows
- Latest MTK Droid Root and tools
- Latest MTK SP Flash Tool for Windows
- Install ADB and fastboot on Linux PC
- Latest MTK SP Flash Tool for Linux 64-bit
- Latest MTK SP Flash Tool for Linux 32-bit
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS IF YOU ARE USING A WINDOWS PC:
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS IF YOU ARE USING A LINUX PC:
STEP BY STEP GUIDE OF HOW TO INSTALL TWRP FOR Elephone U:
Follow the below step by step guide to install the TWRP for Elephone U
Before installing TWRP you may require an unlocked bootloader on Elephone U.
Installing TWRP on Elephone U requires a scatter file to be created.
A scatter file of a Mediatek device is what tells about the presence of different partition and the start address of each partition.
Either you can download the scatter file from the downloads section or you can create it by yourself using the following guide.
How to create scatter file for Elephone U:
Extract the scatter file for Elephone U from the TWRP file, which is available in the download link.
If you already have a scatter file then there is no need to create it. You can SKIP to install the TWRP directly.
If you don’t have a scatter file for the Elephone U then you need to create it by yourself by following the below steps.
This guide needs the Droid MTK Tool. With the help of Droid MTK Tool we will create the scatter file for Elephone U.
- Download the Droid MTK Tool from the above Downloads section.
- It’s in a zip file, so extract that file or open using WinRar or some application and then open the MTKDroidTools.exe file.
- Enable USB Debugging under Developer Options on the Elephone U; to make the device accessible via ADB.
- Then connect the phone using the USB cable to the PC.
– When you connect the phone to the PC, MTKDroidTool will show all the information about your phone.
- On the below portion of the screen you will see a Blocks Map button. Click on the button
- On the next screen you have all the partition information and starting address of all the partitions of Elephone U.
On the bottom of the screen you see a Create scatter file button.
– Click on the button to create scatter file for Elephone U.
- Save the scatter file for Elephone U in a location which you can remember and access easily.
Now Install TWRP on Elephone U using SP Flash Tool:
TWRP recovery download to a Mediatek phone is done by SP Flash tool, which uses a scatter file to know which address the recovery partition starts.
Make sure you have downloaded the SP Flash tool and created the scatter file for Elephone U.
Follow the below steps to install the TWRP on Elephone U using the scatter file.
- Open the SP Flash tool zip file and then open the flash_tool.exe file.
- Click browse on the the scatter-loading file section and select the Elephone U scatter file you created earlier using the MTKDroid Tool.
After selecting the scatter file, the SP Flash tool application automatically find available partitions and other details.
- Now select the location next to the Recovery partition and select the TWRP for Elephone U, which is in .img format.
- Then click on the Download button to start downloading/flashing of the TWRP recovery on Elephone U as shown in the picture.
- After clicking on the download button you will see a red bar on the bottom followed by a yellow bar.
When the TWRP is downloaded to Elephone U, the SP Flash tool will alert you saying Download is done.
- One the TWRP is flashed, start your phone in TWRP mode.
When the phone is booting press and hold the volume + button to enter into TWRP recovery.IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU REBOOT INTO RECOVERY AND DISABLE FORCE ENCRYPTION BEFORE BOOTING INTO SYSTEM OR STARTING THE PHONE. IF NOT DONE THE TWRP WILL BE REPLACED BY STOCK RECOVERY.
- From TWRP, disable encryption and flash the Disable Force Encryption zip file
– Format data partition from TWRP to disable Encryption to be able to use the data partition.
– Then you flash the Disable Force Encryption zip file so that the system will not encrypt it again.
What to do after you install TWRP for Elephone U:
- You can root the Elephone U
- You can install one of the custom ROMs available for Elephone U
- You can install some of the mods available on Elephone U
Well, this isn’t it. You can install customized themes, sound mods, Xposed modules etc. after installing the TWRP for Elephone U.
TWRP recovery is the gateway to many goodies for your phone.
Now, if you want to ROOT Elephone U then below is a step-by-step by guide for the same.
ROOTING Elephone U MAY BRICK THE PHONE.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF ROOTING BEFORE YOU PROCEED FURTHER.
Before proceeding further you may consider backup all data on the phone.
You are the only person making changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by you.
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS OR GUIDES FOR Elephone U ROOTING:
- Make sure you have already unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP for Elephone U
– Well, this is a very important aspect to ROOT using Magisk zip file. The Magisk ROOT zip file is developed in a way to be installed via a TWRP recovery or other custom recovery. Stock recovery may not be able install this SuperSU or Magisk ROOT zip file.
- Download the latest Magisk ROOT zip file for Elephone U or one of the following:
- Download link to Magisk ROOT zip file (RECOMMENDED)
- Download the latest SuperSU ROOT zip file for ONLY if the Magisk does not work:
- Your phone will not be rooted just by installing the SuperSU APK file on your Android phone.
- SuperSU APK Free or Pro version is just a SuperSU ROOT management application.
- The SuperSU APK Free or Pro app will ONLY work if you have already ROOTED your Android Phone.
- Download and copy the Magisk ROOT file to Elephone U. (I hope you have already downloaded the files from the above downloads section)
- Restart the Elephone U to boot into TWRP recovery.
- From the TWRP recovery screen, click the Install button, then select the Magisk ROOT zip file from the file browser.
- Flash or install the SuperSU or Magisk for Elephone U, by Sliding the Swipe to Confirm Flash on TWRP screen.
- Wait for TWRP to flash the Magisk or SuperSU ROOT file. Once the flashing is done just reboot your device.
- Profit!!! You should now have a Elephone U ROOT enabled phone.
How to check if ROOT is enabled on Elephone U or NOT?
Install the ROOT checker app from the Play Store and verify if your phone is ROOTED or not.
Here is a screenshot how to flash the SuperSU ROOT binary via TWRP:
If you face any problems on this guide to install TWRP for Elephone U then, you can login and reply here. Either me or some other user on this forum will revert back to your query as soon as possible.Stay tuned or Subscribe to the Elephone U forum For other Android Custom ROMs, LineageOS ROMs, and all other device specific topics.
? GCam APK | Mod APKJune 10, 2019 at 9:57 PM #91604shantiParticipant
Recpect one for Elephone U whitout Pro :)
What Version of Xposed needed?July 26, 2019 at 3:18 AM #94107tangotonybParticipant
Tried to follow this guide.
I had some issues with MKT Droid Root connecting to my phone, but seem to now have got a little further.
The Phone information is populated
On the LH Window I have
Error: TotalBytesPerChunk Not Found set default page/spare 2048/64 !!!!
Unknown ROM structure etc
ATTENTION! File/system/recovery-from-boot.p which restore factory recovery in case of phone switching on in a normal mode is found.
If I click on Blocks Map I just get a single entry: bmtpool scatter: 0 Size: 0, Byte size: 0
What should I do next?July 26, 2019 at 9:21 PM #94125tangotonybParticipant
Following further investigation, I learned that MTK Droid Tools doesn’t work with Nougat or anything over Android 4.4
I can’t understand how you managed to use it since I thought Elephone U initially shipped with Nougat!
Had a go with Miracle Box to create the scatter file, but no joy there either – unable to connect to the phone- driver issue maybe, although I have ADB access to the phone ok.
This is the only thread I can find on custom recovery for Mediatek devices that has been updated in the last 6 months so currently totally stuck. :(August 18, 2019 at 9:36 PM #95245андрей фединParticipant
Hi Guys. Will there be an android 8 for phone u
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.