- August 10, 2018 at 1:52 PM #43216
Android 9 Pie for Essential Phone PH-1 was available on the same day Android Pie was released to the public.
This post provides the download link to Essential Phone PH-1 Android 9 Pie firmware and guides you how to update Android 9 Pie for Essential Phone PH-1.
Manually updating Android Pie on Essential Phone PH-1 requires an unlocked bootloader, which may delete all your data. Before proceeding further you may consider backup all data on the phone. You are the only person doing changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by YOU.
REQUIRED DOWNLOADS AND LINKS TO UPDATE ANDROID 9 PIE FOR ESSENTIAL PHONE PH-1:
- ADB and Fastboot utility on your PC (Windows, Linux or MAC)
– adb and fastboot on windows
– adb and fastboot on MAC or Linux
- Windows drivers for Essential Phone
- Unlocked bootloader on Essential Phone
- Android 9 Pie OTA Download link for Essential Phone PH-1
- Android 9 Pie Fastboot Download link for Essential Phone PH-1
STEP by STEP GUIDE TO UPDATE ANDROID 9 PIE FOR ESSENTIAL PHONE PH-1:
There are two links provided: OTA image and a Fastboot image
- OTA image can only be flashed on top of an updated software by using ADB sideload method.
- Fastboot image flashing needs to bootloader to be unlocked. This method is ideal if you want to downgrade to a software version manually.
Install Android Pie on Essential Phone using OTA (ADB sideload) method:
- Download the Android Pie OTA update image to your computer
- Verify the checksum of the image.
The OTA mechanism has a built-in validation feature, but verifying will save you some time if the file is incomplete.
The last portion of the filename is the first 8 digits of its SHA-256 checksum; the full SHA-256 checksum is also shown next to the download link.
- Then restart the phone in recovery mode.
To boot into recovery mode, connect the phone to the PC and execute the following command:
adb reboot recovery
Make sure USB Debugging is enabled to be able to execute ADB commands on the phone
- If you’re unable to use ADB to reboot into recovery, you can use the key combination for your Essential Phone PH-1 device.
To get into Fastboot mode, press Volume-Down + Power buttons.
To enter Recovery mode, press Volume-Up + Power buttons.
- Then, navigate to the Recovery option by pressing the Volume-Down button. Once Recovery is highlighted, press the Power button to confirm.
- From the recovery menu, select Apply update from ADB option.
- Run the following command to verify if the Essential Phone PH-1 is connected via ADB interface or not:
Check that your device shows up with “sideload” next to its name
- Run the following command to install the Android Pie OTA image for Essential Phone PH-1 via ADB sideload:
adb sideload PH1-OTA-PPR1.180610.091.zip
Once the update finishes, select Reboot system now to reboot your phone
Install Android Pie on Essential Phone PH-1 using Fastboot method:
- First setup the computer by installing ADB and Fastboot utilities provided in Downloads section
- Enable OEM unlock on Essential Phone PH-1. Follow the below steps:
– Tap Settings, then tap System > About phone
– Scroll to the bottom of the page, then tap Build number multiple times (usually 7 times) until you see the pop-up message “You are now a developer”
– Go back one screen to System, then tap Developer options
– Find the option: OEM Unlocking and turn it on
- Boot the Essential Phone PH-1 into bootloader mode.
– Either use the ADB tool packaged above to run the command: adb reboot bootloader
– Or reboot your phone while holding the Volume-down button
- Unlock the bootloader on Essential Phone PH-1.
Follow the below steps while your phone is in bootloader mode or fastboot mode:
– Run the command:
fastboot flashing unlock
– Press the Volume-down button to navigate to the YES option, then press the Power button to confirm
NOTE: Installing the fastboot factory image will erase all information from your device. Consider to backup your phone before continuing.
- Download and extract the Android Pie fastboot image for Essential Phone PH-1 from the downloads section.
- Open a command prompt on your PC.
- If you are on a Windows machine then execute the following command to flash the fastboot image:
- If you are on a MAC PC / Linux machine then execute the following command to flash the fastboot image:
- After finishing the installation relock the bootloader by executing the following command:
fastboot flashing lock
That’s All, You should have now Android Pie running on your Essential Phone PH-1.Stay tuned or Subscribe to the Essential Phone PH-1 (mata) forum For other Android Pie ROMs, Lineage OS 16 ROMs, other Android Pie ROMs and all other device specific topics.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.