This post was last updated on August 29th, 2019 at 01:05 pm
Recently, a lot of smartphones are being added to the list of official LineageOS 16. LineageOS which is one of the most popular custom ROM is now available for the Lenovo K6 and other variants under the K6 Series. Note that this is an unofficial version and this is developed by XDA developer Senior Member, karthick mostwanted. The Lenovo K6 series devices were announced way back in Septemeber 2016 and it was launched with the Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box. However, this unofficial LineageOS 16 update brings in the Android 9 Pie. So, now you can also enjoy the latest Android 9.0 Pie for the Lenovo K6 device. In this post, we will guide you on how to download and install unofficial LineageOS 16 for Lenovo K6 Series.
Note that there will be a lot of bugs and issues as this will be an unofficial LineageOS version for the Lenovo K6 series. The LineageOS is one of the best and most popular custom ROMs available to install for a huge range of devices. The latest unofficial LineageOS 16 is now updated with more features and bug fixes. Moreover, once you update to this unofficial version of the LineageOS then, you will not be able to receive the official updates for the device. Though it should not matter as the device is already three years old and there are almost no updates for the device available. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
What is LineageOS?
LineageOS is one of the most popular Custom ROMs that are downloaded and installed by the users on their smartphones. For those who do not know, it is based on the Android Open Source Project and get a contribution from various contributors in the Android community. You get a brilliant and my favorite stock Android experience with some extra features that enhances the productivity of your smartphones. Moreover, it is a highly recommended Custom ROM for any device by most of the Android community.
As explained in Wikipedia;
LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform. It is the successor to the custom ROM CyanogenMod, from which it was forked in December 2016 when Cyanogen Inc. announced it was discontinuing development and shut down the infrastructure behind the project. Since Cyanogen Inc. retained the rights to the Cyanogen name, the project rebranded its fork as LineageOS.
Advantages of Custom ROM
- Custom ROMs are built to perform faster than stock ROM.
- They are more stylish and eye-catching in terms of interface/UI.
- You will get some extra features in custom ROMs.
- Moreover, after installing a custom ROM, you will also notice a slight increase in the performance of your device.
- The Custom ROM installation also comes very handy when your device is operating or running on an older Android version. Custom ROMs like LineageOS can get you the taste of the latest Android version.
Disadvantages of Custom ROM
- For installing custom ROMs you need to have unlocked the bootloader.
- You need to have a custom recovery like TWRP, installed and also root access on your device.
- If anything goes wrong with the custom ROM installation process, you can cause permanent damage or might brick your device.
- Moreover, if you install a non-optimized custom ROM on your device then, your device will become laggier.
- The final but most important disadvantage is that your device warranty will be voided and you will not be able to receive official OTA updates on your device.
How To Download and Install Unofficial LineageOS 16 for Lenovo K6 Series
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- Video Playback
- SE Linux is permissive
- This guide is only for Lenovo K6 series users. We would advise you not to follow this guide if you are not the users of Lenovo K6 series.
- This method requires you to have a PC/Laptop.
- Make sure to charge your device up to at least 70%.
- You need to download the correct USB drivers for your device first.
- Download all the files from the download section.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- To do that, go to Settings>>About Phone>>tap on the build number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer”.
- Now, again go to Settings>>Developer Options>>enable USB Debugging
Steps to Install Unofficial LineageOS 16 on Lenovo K6 Series
- Firstly, download the unofficial LineageOS 16 and the Gapps from the download section above.
- Move the downloaded files to the root directory of the internal memory of your smartphone.
- Once you are done with the transfer, turn OFF your device completely.
- You need to boot your device into the recovery mode.
- To do that, press the Power and Volume down button together.
- Now wipe all the data i.e. cache, dalvik cache by Clicking the Wipe button. Go to Advanced Wipe and tick all except Internal Storage then, swipe to wipe off the data.
- Then, click on the Install button to install the LineageOS 16 on your device.
- Go to the root directory and locate the downloaded unofficial LineageOS 16 and swipe to confirm the installation.
- Reboot your device.
- If you want to install the Gapps as well then, you need to follow all the same steps as mentioned above individually or you can flash both the ROM and Gapps together.
- That’s It! You have successfully installed the unofficial version of the LineageOS 16 for the Lenovo K6 series.
Source: Xda Developers
So, there you have it from my side in this article. Hope you guys liked this post and have successfully installed the unofficial version of LineageOS 16 on your Lenovo K6 series of smartphones. Please do let us know in the comments section on whether you have installed the LineageOS 16 on your device and also do let us know all the new features that it has. Moreover, do let us know any issues faced by you while the installation of LineageOS 16 on your device. Note that this is an unofficial version of the LineageOS 16 for the Lenovo K6 series and all the bugs and issues will be fixed with the latest update. Until the next post…Cheers!