Android 11 stable is released but there would be no Android 11 update for Essential Phone officially. What if I say you can still update your phone to Android 11?
Well, that’s true and StatiXOS 4.0 has brought Android 11 for Essential Phone.
About StatiXOS 4.0
StatiXOS is a custom ROM based on the Android Open Source Project aiming to be minimal while providing quality of life improvements and up to date security patches.
Having this objective, StatiXOS is popular among a very few devices. StatiXOS 4.0 is the latest build based on stock Android 11.
Donation to Developer(s)
- No donation link found for the developers
Installing a custom ROM requires a little bit of advanced knowledge to modify the underlying firmware on your phone, such as bootloader unlock, custom recovery installation etc.
If not done properly it may leave you phone unusable temporarily or permanently!
This is an initial build for Essential Phone which may not boot at all or may have many BUGs.
Download StatiXOS 4.0 for Essential Phone
Below is the direct download link to the StatiXOS 4.0 build for Essential Phone
This build will only work for the Essential Phone. If you try this build in Essential Phone [Global Variant] than it won’t work.
Other Requirements to Install StatiXOS 4.0 on Essential Phone
To be able to install any Android 11 ROM build on the phone, it must have an unlocked bootloader and a compatible custom recovery installed.
So, to make it easier for you, we have included appropriate guides on how to unlock bootloader and install recovery in the below sections.
In addition, the custom ROMs usually lack any Google Apps like: Google Play, Google Maps, etc. out of the box. So, the post-installation requirement is, GApps for Android 11.
Essential Phone StatiXOS 4.0 Build Info (latest build)
I have verified the build for its legitimacy by extracting the system image. Below are the data what I have got, which clearly represents this to be a valid build of RevengeOS 4.0 for Redmi 4A:
ro.build.id=RP1A.200720.011 ro.build.version.release=11 ro.build.date=Tue Sep 15 22:49:02 PDT 2020 ro.build.flavor=statix_mata-userdebug
- In Call Audio [ You can hear another person but the other person will not hear you].
- Fingerprints not working in PayPal or in some other application.
- Browsers based on chrome are not working well.
How to Update Essential Phone to StatiXOS 4.0 (Android 11)?
Installing StatiXOS 4.0 requires an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on the phone. This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader on the phone
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Installing the StatiXOS 4.0 ROM on the phone
Unlock Bootloader on Essential Phone
Essential Phone bootloader unlock guide. A step-by-step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Essential Phone.
Install custom recovery on Essential Phone
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on Essential Phone. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on Essential Phone.
Install StatiXOS 4.0 on Essential Phone
- Download the StatiXOS 4.0 ROM for Essential Phone and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC if you intend to install using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery and Wipe data, Cache, System and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise you will lose all your phone data!– Here is a step-by-step guide on how to wipe data using TWRP recovery– This step will erase the current firmware from the phone. You can choose to keep a backup of the relevant boot and system partition so that you can rollback if the new build doesn’t work properly.
- Install StatiXOS 4.0 using TWRP recovery or any custom recovery of your choice
ADB Sideload the StatiXOS 4.0 ROM zip file.
You can use any one of the above-mentioned method to install the zip file on the phone.
- Install Android 11 GApps using TWRP
– Basically, The GApps package provides basic Google Play Services, Play Store application and other Google Applications.
- Once done, reboot the phone to boot into StatiXOS 4.0 on Essential Phone which is based on Android 11.
Well, after installing the StatiXOS 4.0 and GApps zip file you are done with the installation process. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to unleash the real capabilities of your phone!
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the StatiXOS 4.0 ROM on your Essential Phone.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Search a compatible Google Camera for your phone that may run on this StatiXOS 4.0 ROM.
Also, visit the Essential Phone (mata) page to get other StatiXOS 4.0 ROMs, LineageOS 18, or other device specific topics.