Table of Contents
- 1 What is Android 11 GSI?
- 2 Download Android 11 build for Redmi Note 7
- 3 How to Update Redmi Note 7 to Android 11?
- 4 Add-on Downloads
This post was last updated on September 18th, 2020 at 04:09 am
The latest Android 11 for Redmi Note 7, is now available to download and install from Android 11 custom ROM builds. This is a step-by-step guide that explains how to install Android 11 on Redmi Note 7.
The Redmi Note 7 (codename: lavender) may or may not be updated to Android 11 officially. So, we have brought you several Android 11 custom ROMs that you can install on your Redmi Note 7.
But, you need to understand that, Installing a custom ROM requires little bit of advanced knowledge to modify the underlying firmware on your phone, such as bootloader unlock, custom recovery installation etc.
If not done properly it may leave your phone unusable temporarily or permanently!
What is Android 11 GSI?
GSI stands for a Generic System Image which is based on vanilla AOSP (Android Open Source Project). The GSI was introduced as Project Treble and was meant to decouple any vendor-specific dependency from the Android system to make Android updates faster.
A GSI build is different from a source built ROM. A BUG found on a GSI build can only be fixed by installing some patches via custom recovery unlike source built ROM which needs fresh compilation to make the FIX resident into the ROM forever.
Download Android 11 build for Redmi Note 7
We have a GSI build of Android 11 Stable release along with few other custom ROM builds.
Below is a direct download link to the Redmi Note 7 AOSP Android 11 build:
Other Resources Required to Install Android 11 on Redmi Note 7
- Unlocked Bootloader on Redmi Note 7
- TWRP for Redmi Note 7 –
- GApps for Android 11: required to run Google Apps on this build
How to Update Redmi Note 7 to Android 11?
Installing Android 11 requires an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on the phone. This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader on the phone
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Installing the Android 11 ROM on the phone
Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 7
Redmi Note 7 bootloader unlock guide. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 7.
Install custom recovery on Redmi Note 7
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on Redmi Note 7. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on Redmi Note 7.
Install Android 11 on Redmi Note 7
- Download the Android 11 ROM for Redmi Note 7 and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC if you intend to install using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery and Wipe data, Cache, System, and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise, you will lose all your phone data!– Here is a step-by-step guide on how to wipe data using TWRP recovery– This step will erase the current firmware from the phone. You can choose to keep a backup of the relevant boot and system partition so that you can rollback if the new build don’t work properly.
- Install Android 11 using TWRP recovery
ADB Sideload the Android 11 ROM zip file.
You can use any one of the above-mentioned method to install the zip file on the phone.
- Install Android 11 GApps using TWRP
– Basically, The GApps package provides basic Google Play Services, Play Store application and other Google Applications.
- Once done, reboot the phone to boot into Android 11 on Redmi Note 7.
Well, after installing the Android 11 zip file you are done with the Android 11 installation for your phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to unleash the real capabilities of your phone.
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the Android 11 ROM on your Redmi Note 7.
GApps are not part of this Android 11 build. So, you need to install Android 11 GApps to be able to use Google Play Store and other basic Google services.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Also, visit the Redmi Note 7 (lavender) page to get other Android 11 ROMs, LineageOS 18, or other device specific topics.