Table of Contents
- 1 Donation to Developer(s)
- 2 Download Android 11 build for Nexus 5X
- 3 How to Update Nexus 5X to Android 11?
- 4 How To Install Android 11 on Nexus 5X?
- 5 Add-on Downloads
This post was last updated on September 16th, 2020 at 09:19 pm
The latest Android 11 for Nexus 5X, is now available to download and install from Android 11 custom ROM build(s). This is a step-by-step guide that explains how to install Android 11 on Nexus 5X.
This build is brought to you by developer svlog.
Donation to Developer(s)
The Nexus 5X will not be updated to Android 11 officially. So, we have brought you several Android 11 custom ROMs that you can install on your Nexus 5X.
But, you need to understand that, Installing a custom ROM requires little bit of advanced knowledge to modify the underlying firmware on your phone, such as bootloader unlock, custom recovery installation etc.
If not done properly it may leave you phone unusable temporarily or permanently!
This is an initial build of Android 11 and may not boot at all! Make sure to have a backup of some working firmware to boot if this does not work!
Download Android 11 build for Nexus 5X
This is a stable AOSP Android 11 build for the phone.
Below is a direct download link to the Nexus 5X AOSP Android 11 build:
Other Resources Required to Install Android 11 on Nexus 5X
To install this Android 11 build on your Nexus 5X, you need to have the ROM file which is added in the previous section, plus few more things given below:
- Unlocked Bootloader on Nexus 5X
- GApps for Android 11: required to run Google Apps on this build
– Wifi does not work
How to Update Nexus 5X to Android 11?
Installing Android 11 requires an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on the phone. This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader on the phone
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Installing the Android 11 ROM on the phone
Unlock Bootloader on Nexus 5X
Nexus 5X bootloader unlock guide. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Nexus 5X.
Install custom recovery on Nexus 5X
TWRP is not mandatory to flash this build but you build the image files using TWRP as well. For this you need to have TWRP or any other custom recovery installed on your Nexus 5X.
Below are the custom recoveries available for the phone:
How To Install Android 11 on Nexus 5X?
If you understand and agree to the consequences it may create, proceed to install Android 11 on Nexus 5X.
Flash Android 11 on Nexus 5X using Fastboot
- Download and extract the Nexus 5X Android 11 zip file where you will get three .img files: boot.img, system.img and vendor.img
- Boot into bootloader mode.
Power off the phone and press Power button + Volume Down button to boot into bootloader mode.
- Open a terminal or a command prompt and execute the below commands:
fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
- Once done, reboot the phone and you are done with the installation process.
Flash Android 11 on Nexus 5X using TWRP
If you are not comfortable with command line then you can copy the .img files extracted (from the zip file downloaded) to your phone and follow the below instructions:
- Copy the .img files into your phone and boot into TWRP
- Go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > select all except Internal Storage and MicroSD and then Swipe to Wipe
- Now select the Install and Install Image
- Now, browse and select the file with the filename vendor.img file and then select Vendor Image then Swipe to confirm Flash
- Now, browse and select the file with the filename system.img file and then select System Image then Swipe to confirm Flash
- Now, browse and select the file with the filename boot.img file and then select Boot Image then Swipe to confirm Flash
- Once done flashing, tap on Reboot System and then Swipe to Reboot to restart the phone
Well, after installing the Android 11 zip file you are done with the Android 11 installation for your phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to unleash the real capabilities of your phone.
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the Android 11 ROM on your Nexus 5X.
GApps are not part of this Android 11 build. So, you need to install Android 11 GApps to be able to use Google Play Store and other basic Google services.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Search a compatible Google Camera for your phonje that may run on this Android 11 ROM.
Also, visit the Nexus 5X (bullhead) page to get other Android 11 ROMs, LineageOS 18, or other device specific topics.