The latest Android 11 for Mi Max 3, is now available to download and install from Android 11 custom ROM builds. This is a step-by-step guide that explains how to install Android 11 on Mi Max 3.
What is Android 11 GSI?
GSI stands for a Generic System Image which is based on vanilla AOSP (Android Open Source Project). The GSI was introduced as Project Treble and was meant to decouple any vendor-specific dependency from the Android system to make Android updates faster.
A GSI build is different from a source built ROM. A BUG found on a GSI build can only be fixed by installing some patches via custom recovery unlike source built ROM which needs fresh compilation to make the FIX resident into the ROM forever.
Other Resources Required to Install Android 11 on Mi Max 3
- Unlocked Bootloader on Mi Max 3
- OrangeFox for Mi Max 3 –
- GApps for Android 11: required to run Google Apps on this build
Known Issues on this Mi Max 3 Android 11 ROM
Before you proceed to install this build on your phone have a look at the list of known issues:
- The proximity sensor does not work
- The “Google Hotwire” does not work
- The access point does not work
How to Update Mi Max 3 to Android 11?
Installing Android 11 requires an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on the phone. This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader on the phone
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Installing the Android 11 ROM on the phone
Unlock Bootloader on Mi Max 3
Mi Max 3 bootloader unlock guide. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Mi Max 3.
Install custom recovery on Mi Max 3
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on Mi Max 3. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on Mi Max 3.
- TWRP for Mi Max 3
- OrangeFox for Mi Max 3
Install Android 11 on Mi Max 3
- Download the Android 11 ROM for Mi Max 3 and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC if you intend to install using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery and Wipe data, Cache, System, and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise, you will lose all your phone data!
- Install Android 11 using TWRP recovery
ADB Sideload the Android 11 ROM zip file.
- Install Android 11 GApps using TWRP
- Once done, reboot the phone to boot into Android 11 on Mi Max 3.
Well, after installing the Android 11 zip file you are done with the Android 11 installation for your phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to unleash the real capabilities of your phone.
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the Android 11 ROM on your Mi Max 3.
GApps are not part of this Android 11 build. So, you need to install Android 11 GApps to be able to use Google Play Store and other basic Google services.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Search a compatible Google Camera for your phone that may run on this Android 11 ROM.
Also, visit the Mi Max 3 (nitrogen) page to get other Android 11 ROMs, LineageOS 18, or other device specific topics.